Parade, pep rally draw participants, fans

0
15

The beginning of the end of the All-University Homecoming events came in the form of the K-State Homecoming parade and pep rally Friday.

At the parade, fraternities, sororities, residence halls and student and local organizations all decorated festive floats to display to the hundreds of children, adults and college students who lined the streets, many decked out in Halloween costumes.

Planning for the floats themselves was intensive.

“I basically sent out a ton of e-mails,” said Ashley Preston, sophomore in secondary education and float organizer for the Strong Complex, West Hall and Smurthwaite Scholarship House pairing.

Preston said construction and planning for the float took three days and the King Kong-themed float was made mostly out of plywood and two-by-fours. Preston’s float won second place in the residence hall category, with Jardine Apartments, Moore Hall and overflow housing winning first place.

“We basically sat down and brainstormed all together,” said Derek Miller, sophomore in business administration and member of Kappa Sigma. Miller described Kappa Sigma, FarmHouse and Zeta Tau Alpha’s float as an old-time movie theme, with downtown Manhattan in the background. The float did not place.

Kappa Kappa Gamma, Sigma Nu and Sigma Alpha Epsilon’s float won first place and Delta Delta Delta, Tau Kappa Epsilon and Acacia’s float placed second. Other organizations also joined the parade. Barb Van Slyke, a member of the Riley County Republican Organization, used the kiddie train float as a last-minute campaign chance for the Republican party.

“Some local Republicans have an amusement business, so we have this little train that they have and we have used it in parades in the past,” Van Slyke said. “So we thought it would be a great opportunity to showcase the future of America right here, riding in the train, and we have all our candidate campaign signs on the side.”

For student organization floats, Powercat Motorsports placed first, the Black Student Union second and Poize Hip Hop Dance Team third.

The parade started in downtown Manhattan, went through Aggieville and ended in City Park, where a pep rally hyped up the crowd. There, the results of all the Homecoming events were announced.

kansas state collegian