‘Splice’ stylistically cool, not placed in regular movie genres

0
6

“Splice” is a very strange movie. There’s no other fair way to describe it because it does not fit into any particular genre. In “Splice,” two geneticists (Adrian Brody and Sarah Polley) begin experimenting on hybrid animals — animals created by putting the DNA of many species together in hopes of creating new species to help make medical breakthroughs. They want to add human DNA to the mix and, despite the fact that the corporate heads tell them “No,” go for it anyway. The result is Dren (Delphine Chaneac), whom the two quickly begin to see as their daughter. But not all is as perfect as it seems.

Stylistically, the film is cool. One of the best parts of the film is the random artwork on the walls and the clothing everyone wears. Even though he plays a geneticist, Adrian Brody still makes himself as cool as possible.

Speaking of Adrian Brody, the three main cast members all do a terrific job. The film, though, is over-the-top; I don’t want to spoil the ending of the movie, but it’s by far the strangest ending to a movie you’ll ever see, and the actors could have all played it accordingly. Instead, they play it straight, and the film benefits from that. Brody, in particular, makes a real effort to provide some grounding for the film.

The supporting cast, on the other hand, is somewhat weak. The big problem is they’re never given time to develop. Brandon McGibbon, for example, plays Gavin Nicoli, the brother of Brody’s character. When he’s onscreen, you get the impression we’re supposed to care about what he has to say, but ultimately we just don’t. That’s not really McGibbon’s fault; it’s more that his character is never allowed to develop beyond a stereotypical brother.

There are very few other things about this movie that could be labeled “stereotypical.” There’s a lot of sexuality, and not just between people. Some of the experiments involve the mating of the creatures being created. It’s weird, and the results are even stranger. As mentioned before, the ending of this movie is totally ridiculous and also extremely hard to watch. I should warn anyone considering this movie that they need to do so carefully. Be sure you really want to before you pick up this DVD.

“Splice” is not a movie without its weaknesses. It’s a strange movie; sometimes there are jumps in logic, sometimes it’s a bit predictable. But at the end of the day, it’s worth going to see. It’s worth seeing just because it’s totally different from anything else you’ll ever see. I am giving “Splice” 4 stars out of 5 because it is something you should see, just know that it has some imperfections before spending the money on it.