Greek community’s philanthropic efforts not in vain

0
3

In Beth Mendenhall’s opinion column, entitled “Charity groups waste time on less efficient causes,” she targets sororities and fraternities for being a nuisance to her in her everyday walk through the Union Courtyard.

In being a greek for four years now, I have participated in many philanthropic events and even been in charge of a few myself. I have read many Collegian articles over my time here at K-State and never has any made me this upset.

She says the groups benefiting from greeks’ philanthropies are not worthy causes because they do not help what one organization states to be the recommended causes to donate to. To state that if you’re not donating to one of the organizations she lists, you’re wasting your money and efforts, is borderline mental.

If everybody just donated money to the organizations she listed, those problems would most likely be solved, but at what cost? Sure, those problems would be fixed, but then other causes that had been neglected would become bigger and bigger problems, and soon they would become the major problems. This cycle would continue until someone realized that instead of a reactive approach, everybody needs to take a proactive approach and have some sort of balance to where they donate their money.

Also, to say that greeks are wasting their time with these philanthropies is a slap in the face to every person that has ever worked on a philanthropy, organized a philanthropy or donated to a philanthropy. To say that Pi Beta Phi’s Ali Kemp Bandstand and Pi Kappa Alpha and Gamma Phi Beta’s Never Say Never concerts, both held to remember people who have passed away and to raise money for a cause, are a waste is downright insulting. To say that Up ‘Til Dawn, which raises money for St. Jude’s Hospital, and Sigma Kappa’s Mud Bowl, which helps fund research on Alzheimer’s disease, are a waste, too, is just plain stupid and shortsighted.

Mendenhall questions the motives behind the people that put many hours of work into hosting these events. I’ve started three new philanthropies while at K-State and spent my entire summer working on a benefit concert that my departed brother was planning before he passed. What gives Beth the right to say that I did all of that for a resume? Is she writing articles for the Collegian just so she can add that to her resume, or is she doing it to make a difference?