Fraternity to hold 12th annual pageant

0
22

Ten pageant contestants are set to take the stage in Forum Hall this Saturday at 7 p.m. The K-State students, who have prepared since September, will vie for the title in the 12th annual Miss Black and Gold Pageant.

The event will be held by members of the Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity.

“Historically, this pageant has been to showcase and display the talent, beauty, elegance and intelligence of multi-cultural women on K-State’s campus,” said Brandon Clark, adviser and state representative for the fraternity.

This year’s theme, Midnight Masquerade, will be featured in the opening number of the pageant, and Clark said members of the audience could add to the fun and participate in the theme by wearing masquerade masks. The contestants will be featured in several categories throughout the night including career wear and personal introductions, talent, swimwear, evening wear and question and answer.

Judges for the competition will not be members of the K-State chapter; rather they will be fraternity brothers from the University of Kansas and Wichita State University chapters, as well as alumni chapters.

Clark said the winner of the competition will advance to the Miss Black and Gold state pageant, which leads to the regional and national pageants. This year’s state pageant will be held at K-State in March.

The night will be a special occasion for the fraternity. Along with the pageant, the evening also marks the 104th anniversary for the founding of Alpha Phi Alpha.

“We’re expecting a very good crowd; it should be fun and exciting for everyone,” Clark said. “We’ll make sure it’s entertaining.”

Tickets for the pageant will be available at the door for $12, but Clark said there is a chance they may sell out of tickets by the time doors open. For early ticket information, contact Clark at 785-341-7120 or by e-mail at bclark@ksu.edu.