Judge quits team, leaves ‘Cats season in question

0
29

The K-State men’s basketball team has had a dismal season this year and the departure of a key player could lengthen the list of questions about how the season will turn out for the Wildcats.

On Monday, head coach Frank Martin announced that sophomore forward Wally Judge has decided to quit the team. Martin said it was mostly a personal and emotional decision for the native of Arlington, Fla.

“Wally said he’s not happy and I kind of saw it coming,” Martin said. “Because of his emotional situations, he has not been enjoying his time here. He told me today that he thinks it’s time for a change.”

Before arriving at K-State, Judge was a five-star recruit and a McDonald’s All American. He was ranked No. 18 by Rivals.com for the class of 2009. Besides an offer from K-State, Judge also received interest from Georgetown, Maryland, Ohio State, Villanova, Virginia and West Virginia. He averaged three points and three rebounds per game his freshman year. He increased those numbers to 5.5 points and four rebounds in 17 games this season.

In his last game as a Wildcat, Judge finished with five points shooting just 1 of 7 against Kansas on Saturday. His best game of the season came against North Florida on Dec. 31 when he scored 22 points and grabbed nine rebounds. He followed up that performance with a 13-point, 14-rebound effort against Savannah State on Jan. 3. This isn’t the first time the media has been informed of Judge dealing with emotional struggles. He was ruled out indefinitely by Martin on Dec. 12 due to personal issues. He returned to the lineup against Florida on Dec. 18.

“If it’s been a struggle all year for him and he’s not enjoying the moment, then you can’t make him stay,” Martin said.

Sophomore guard Rodney McGruder and senior guard Jacob Pullen found out yesterday, but both chose not to comment.

“We just showed up to practice,” Pullen said. “You would have to talk to Frank about it.”