Wildcats blasted by Bears

0
18

It was going to be a tall order for K-State to knock off the Baylor Bears at the Ferrell Center. Baylor entered the game undefeated at home this season, and the Bears left the game that way after a 75-48 blowout win against the Wildcats.

The winning streak was never in jeopardy for the Bears. They jumped out to a 22-6 lead early in the game. K-State was able to get within 10 behind after a 3-pointer from guard Brittany Chambers, but that is as close as the Wildcats got to handing Baylor their second straight loss.

Once again, Baylor sophomore center Brittany Griner proved to be one of the best players in women’s college basketball. Griner posted 21 points in the first half and went on to finish with 26 points. Although Griner came in averaging almost five blocks per game, she was unable to register even one against the Wildcats.

Baylor senior guard Melissa Jones joined Griner in the scoring books in the first half with nine points. She added two more in the second half for a total of 11. Jones figured into other statistical categories as well, as she pulled down nine rebounds, had five steals and added three blocks.

It was a two-player game for the Wildcats once again. Junior forward Jalana Childs finished with 22 points and Chambers chipped in 15 points. All of Chambers’ points came from behind the 3-point arc, where she went 5-of-13 in the contest. Chambers’ troubles continued all over the court. She had no assists and five turnovers.

All in all, the Wildcats had 18 turnovers. Sophomore guard Taelor Karr finished with just four points. Karr has struggled since her 19-point outburst against Missouri and has only scored nine points since tying her career-high in the same game.

Junior forward Branshea Brown scored only one point for the Wildcats. She finished the game 0-for-5 from the field. Brown was able to keep multiple K-State possessions alive as she snagged five offensive rebounds, but like three other Wildcats, she finished the game scoreless.

Freshman guard Stephanie Wittman was a nice offensive surprise for head coach Deb Patterson’s squad; the rarely used newcomer scored four points.

The Wildcats finished their two-game road trip with one win and one loss. With the loss, they remain winless against the Big 12 South. K-State will look to get its 801st victory in program history when the cats travel back home to take on the ranked Iowa State Cyclones at 7 p.m. on Saturday.