Baseball team earns split at four-game tournament

0
15

After coming from behind to defeat Coastal Carolina 5-4 on Friday, the K-State baseball team dropped two of its next three for a four-game split at the Caravelle Resort’s Baseball at the Beach Tournament in South Carolina. The 2-2 showing puts the Wildcats at 5-2 on the year after a seven-game, season-opening road trip.

WESTERN KENTUCKY 11, K-STATE 3 (Friday)

Designated hitter Wade Hinkle gave the Wildcats a quick 3-0 lead with a home run in the first inning, but Western Kentucky responded with three home runs of its own to hand the Wildcats their first loss of the season in Conway, S.C.

Despite working with a three-run lead in the first frame, K-State starter Matt Applegate started to come unraveled in the early-going. The Hilltoppers cut the deficit to one when catcher Matt Rice knocked a double to left center, and they plated three more off the Wildcat pitcher in the third to go up for good. Applegate settled down and pitched into the fifth inning, but could not finish the frame. He ended his day with five earned runs in 4.2 innings of work.

Offensively, K-State had trouble getting much going after Hinkle’s homer. The Wildcats were held to just four hits and no runs after the first inning.

K-STATE 6, PACIFIC 2 (Saturday)

Looking to bounce back from their first season loss, the Wildcats took to the field on Saturday against a team they had already defeated three times this year in Pacific. K-State got the better of the Tigers once again, handing them a 6-2 defeat in Conway.

K-State starter Justin Lindsey gave up a run in the first inning to quickly fall behind 1-0 in the contest. But Lindsey’s offense gave him the lead back in the second when designated hitter Ross Kivett drove in third baseman Jason King on an RBI groundout and first baseman Matt Giller scored on a wild pitch. King silenced any thoughts of a Pacific comeback when he belted a three-run home run in the sixth inning.

After his first-inning mishap, Lindsey settled down and did not allow a run over the next three innings. His final stat line — four innings pitched, two hits allowed and one earned run — was good for his first season win .

CALIFORNIA 8, K-STATE 1 (Sunday)

K-State starter Levi Schlik did enough to keep his team in the tournament finale, but lack of offensive production doomed the Wildcats in an 8-1 loss to California in Myrtle Beach, S.C.

Schlik and Golden Bear starter Justin Jones both gave up a run in the first inning, but neither team crossed the plate again over the next three innings. A Wildcat fielding error in the fifth proved costly, as it allowed two California baserunners to score in the inning.

King drove in K-State’s only run on a sac fly in the opening frame, but it was another quiet day for the Wildcats’ bats. California pitching held K-State to just four hits in the contest.

The Wildcats return to action on Friday when they welcome Western Illinois to Tointon Family Stadium for a four-game series. Friday’s first pitch is set for 3 p.m.