American Red Cross sets goal of 800 donations throughout week

0
16

The American Red Cross is in town for the week to collect donations as part of the K-State Blood Drive.

Volunteer stations are set up on the second floor of the K-State Student Union and Putnam Hall in an effort to attract a variety of people.

Kristi Ingalls, senior donor recruitment representative, said planning has to start far in advance in order to be ready for all the volunteers.

“Months and months, and months,” Ingalls said. “We schedule the blood drive a year in advance and we start preparing about four months in advance.”

Ingalls said the Red Cross set a goal of servicing 800 people for the week. In the Ballroom, about 13 machines were set up to receive blood, and people giving blood were told to expect to be at the site for about 90 minutes.

The actual donation of blood takes about 45 minutes to an hour, but participants have to fill out a 49-question health form. Walk-in donors increase the expected wait time.

About 160 people will volunteer throughout the week to manage the drive, and several groups volunteered their members for some of the days.

Cassie Bumsted, senior in dietetics and president of Fruit of the Fight, said the group promotes nutrition and wellness. Bumsted said about eight people from her club signed up for the blood drive.

“I think it’s because it’s on campus it just depends on the organization,” Busted said. “We did it last year, it was fun, and they’re a good group to work for. Plus, they need help.”

Greeks and resident halls also had a competition to see who could get the most members to sign up for the drive.

Even though many people came in to give blood, several normally get turned away because they have another commitment and need to reschedule to later in the week, or they turn out to have the flu, or traveled outside the country recently.

Jeff Hubka, senior in pre-physical therapy, said he donated blood partially because he thinks it is for a great cause.

“I don’t know, it doesn’t bother me,” Hubka said. “It interests me, the processes, (be)cause I’m a health major, a lot of people need blood, and you get free food and a free T-shirt.”