Committee meets on NCAA certification, assesses athletics

0
15

The steering committee for the National Collegiate Athletic Association certification self-study held an open campus meeting on Tuesday night in an effort to gain community input. The five chairs of the subcommittees were all in attendance along with the associate athletic director and the overall chair.

Ruth Dyer, senior vice provost and chair of the steering committee, said the committee heads were at the meeting to take comments that could be incorporated into the final submission.

“We are now concluding the information and data gathering phase, they have reviewed all sorts of university and athletic department documents,” Dyer said. “We want university feedback on the documents.”

This is the third self-study in the past 20 years, and Dyer said the previous two occurred from 1995 to 1996 and from 2001 to 2002.

K-State must show that it has met 82 standards given by the NCAA, which are under the three main areas: academic integrity, governance and compliance and gender/diversity and student athlete well-being.

Dyer said the final decision by the NCAA will be announced in 2012.

The audience only asked a few questions, and the various chairs each had a turn to speak on every question.

Doris Carroll, chair of the Diversity Issues subcommittee and associate professor in special education, counseling and student affairs, said the review process helped provide her with more insight into the campus affairs.

“The items ask us to look at diversity issues in the department of athletics, but also across the community,” Carroll said. “In many ways for the very first time we have a portrait of diversity across campus, and in my opinion we have the clearest picture of diversity across the athletic department.”

Many of the chairs expressed their surprise at the amount of academic support student athletes receive, as well as their admiration for the high graduation rates compared to the general student body.

Joseph Aistrup, associate dean in the College of Arts and Sciences and chair of the Governance & Commitment to Rules Compliance subcommittee, was impressed by the athletic department’s safeguards against mismanagement.

“I think the thing that strikes me is the sheer number of rules and regulations every student and coach has to follow,” Aistrup said. “It has led to a web of regulations that are mindboggling, and a little overwhelming. A lot more of our resources are going towards managing compliance.”

Dyer said the NCAA has a site visit scheduled for K-State in September of next year after the final report is reviewed.