Musical offers different type of humor

0
12

“Avenue Q” performed Sunday to an appreciative audience. The performance included puppets as well as human characters, while also dealing with themes like drinking and sex in a raunchy, but funny way.

Todd Holmberg, executive director of McCain, said the musical was a good choice to play at K-State.

“The demographic is perfect for the college student and it is also the funniest show I have ever seen,” Holmberg said. “It is very innovative in its use of puppets interacting with humans. So it’s really just a smart and entertaining show.”

A couple of the main characters were puppets, but the show also had “Bad Idea Bears” whenever the characters were about to make a bad choice.

For example, the “Bears” convince two of the puppets to have sex, which they do loudly and in multiple positions.

Televisions were also mounted on either side of the stage, and they would play short clips that would represent the characters reflections on words like “purpose” and “propose.”

Casey Dwyer, junior in public relations, said he was glad he had the opportunity to see “Avenue Q.”

“I’ve heard it’s a really funny show. I have several friends on UPC who said it would be really good,” Dwyer said. “It was highly recommended and it’s good timing on a Sunday afternoon. This was the first time I’d heard of it, but I watched some videos on YouTube.”

Some of the songs that got a bigger reaction from the audience include “if you were gay,” which has lines like “if you were queer I’d still be here” in it, as well as “the Internet is for porn,” which is sung after a character decides she wants to teach children about the Internet.

There was even a Gary Coleman character in the musical amused the audience with lines like “if you rearrange the letters in unemployed it spells opportunity,” and “I’m scared I’ve already achieved my damn purpose.”

Several of the characters were “Monsters” which in the play became a talking point in the song “Everyone’s a Little Bit Racist” at the end of which several characters argue about the race of Jesus.

Robbie Haynes, senior in animal sciences and pre-veterinary medicine, said he liked the humor in the performances.

“I mean, I think it’s a hysterical musical that walks the line between appropriate and reality. The content gives everybody something to relate to which in turn makes it funnier. It’s a pretty good musical,” Haynes said.