Honor society to host benefit concert for Kenya

0
10

Next weekend, Alpha Epsilon Delta, a health and preprofessional honor society, will be holding a concert and auction to raise money for a charity that works in Kenya.

The Low End, Catch Amy and Reverb are the three bands that will be entertaining the crowd. Items up for auction include a football signed by Bill Snyder, a copy of Sports Illustrated signed by Jordy Nelson, as well as a jersey also signed by Jordy Nelson. Some other prizes include Kansas City Royals tickets as well as art from people on campus and the community.

Those who do not wish to bid in the auction can buy raffle tickets and get the chance to win items like gift cards from LongHorn Steakhouse and Carlos O’Kelly’s Mexican Cafe.

All money raised goes to Comfort the Children, an organization in Kenya that does activities like setting up schools and bringing physical and occupational therapists in to teach mothers how to take care of children with disabilities.

Whitley Jackson, senior in biology, Spanish and gerontology, and vice president of Alpha Epsilon Delta, explained why the group wanted to hold the auction.

“Last summer I went over to Africa and I worked in this community, Maai Mahiu,” Jackson said. “I was working with these kids and they really touched me, and I was impressed with the difference being made in their life.”

Alpha Epsilon Delta is partnering with Student Friends of the Beach to hold the concert. Jackson said part of the goal was go get people more interested in the Beach Museum of Art. The event will occur May 6 from 7:30 to 10 p.m. outside of the museum.