Eminem, Kid Cudi to perform at Kanrocksas festival

0
42

The Kanrocksas Music Festival is coming to Kansas City on August 5 and 6. Rapper Eminem and the band Muse will headline the event along with 25 other announced artists. The event is expected to potentially draw a crowd of over 100,000 people. The relatively short distance between Kansas City and Manattan means Kanrocksas presents many K-State students with the potential to attend the concert. The event is scheduled to take place at the Kansas Speedway in Kansas City, Kan., and will feature many of the same acts as this year’s Lollapalooza festival in the Chicago area. Some have touted Kanrocksas as an attempt to emulate Lollapalooza’s success in Kansas. One factor discouraging some from attending the concert is ticket prices; some students see them as fairly high. Two-day passes to Kanrocksas are currently $179, and the price will rise to $225 on the day of the event. The concert’s organizers are also offering VIP tickets and single-day options. Given the prices of the tickets, Logan Mitchell, junior in kinesiology, said he would not be purchasing a two-day pass. “I wouldn’t pay that just to see those artists perform,” Mitchell said. “It’s pretty expensive for a college student that only has a part-time job.” Derek Stein, senior in public relations, said he is excited about the concert despite the ticket prices and has already purchased a two-day pass to the event. “Ticket prices seem high since it’s the inaugural Kanrocksas,” Stein said. “But there aren’t any extra fees to camp and I heard they’re now selling one-day passes, which is a huge plus for some prospective attendees.” The fact there would be no additional fees to camp did not affect Mitchell’s decision to attend Kanrocksas. “Well, I mean that sure is a bonus, but then there are gas prices and food and other things to pay for,” Mitchell said. “It’s just a lot of money for two days.” In addition to headliners Eminem and Muse, Kanrocksas will also feature The Black Keys, A Perfect Circle, Kid Cudi, Bassnectar, OK Go and Tinie Tempah. Mitchell said he will not be attending the concert, but said he regards Eminem as one of his favorite rappers and he also listens to Kid Cudi on the radio. Mitchell said he would have been more excited if ticket prices were cheaper and if he could have just paid to see Eminem. Stein said he was excited for a lot of the bands, although he was most excited for Kid Cudi, OK Go, Tinie Tempah and Ween, another act scheduled to perform. “The first time I heard [Ween] was when my old band was driving to play a show in Omaha,” Stein said. “I’ve never seen them before, and haven’t really been too religious about checking in on their new music, but I recognize them when I hear them. It’s tough to find music like that these days after only a few listens.” Stein said he thinks Kanrocksas is a great idea, but he thinks the creators might regret the name. “Despite the name, I plan on going,” Stein said.