Campus clothing choices important

0
22

Walking around campus, you might see hundreds of people on a daily basis. In high school, it was easy to wake up a little bit earlier to put on make up, do your hair and put on nice clothing. In college, this routine could be a little more difficult.

When in college, it’s all about the hustle and bustle of getting from one class to the next with a heavy backpack or purse. To be in college and to look nice are probably two of the hardest things to think about in one sentence on any particular day. Most people strutting around the K-State campus show their love for their school by wearing T-shirts and sweatpants or shorts. But is it really that difficult to put on something other than a T-shirt and shorts every day?

Sure, you could look at me and say I am not the most fashion-friendly person or someone who really cares about her looks. But in all reality, I do. I care a lot about how I look. I have only gone to school once in sweatpants in my entire education history. I do not justify laziness as a reason to not look good.

I am not bashing on the people who wear shorts and T-shirts everyday. Most people would agree that comfort takes precedence over convention. Some people might feel uncomfortable in clothing that would be considered business professional. But when it comes down to it, there needs to be a limit on how comfortable is too comfortable.

Seeing girls who have their hair done well and a full face of makeup on makes me expect them to have on some nice clothing; instead, I see clothing that looks like they just rolled out of bed. This is something I don’t understand. If you have time to put your hair up and put makeup on, there is no excuse for your clothing to ruin the entire ensemble.

People who dress fashionably every day are people I wish I could take some advice from, such as men wearing suits around campus, whether it is for purpose or pleasure, and women who are wearing clothing that fits the norm of what is in this season, such as color blocking and scarves now that it is after Labor Day.

All of our lives we have been told that it doesn’t matter what you look like on the outside because people will like you for who you are on the inside. Well, we are now in the real world and first impressions matter. I have a lot of visible tattooing and I am judged constantly for it. That is why I have to care even more about what I wear and how I look.

How do we solve this problem of looking good in college? Time management and the ability to care is what it comes down to. I don’t look nice for other people; I look nice for the sake of showing that I care about my appearance.

In my personal opinion, when faced with the ability to choose whether or not to look good, you should always choose to look good.

Instead of wearing a T-shirt and shorts, throw on a dress. Instead of wearing sweatpants, put on some dress pants or nice jeans. The temperatures have decreased a lot in the last few days, allowing students to wear sweatshirts and feeling the need to bundle up, but these are the perfect opportunities for you to dress up rather than dress down.