Winning streak comes to an end

0
36

K-State won a thriller on Wednesday in Columbia against the Missouri Tigers in the first of two road matches.

Going into Saturday nights game, the Wildcats were on an eight-match winning streak. The Wildcats have been playing much better volleyball as of late and hoped to continue this streak as they faced the Aggies of Texas A&M. However, Texas A&M, had different ideas.

Texas A&M came into the game with a record of (13-3, 1-1) including a victory over Baylor in their last match.

The first set started off fine for the Wildcats as K-State went on two mini runs to jump out to a 12-6 lead and appeared to be on their way to a win in the first set. Texas A&M responded with an huge run of their own to take a one point lead at 17-16. The Aggies were able to hold K-State at bay for the rest of the set and win the set 25-22. K-State had a chance to make it a match in the next set, but once again the Aggies proved to be too tough.

The second set went just like the first one with the Wildcats getting an early lead in the set, only to see the Aggies come right back and take the lead. K-State would not go away quietly as they kept battling the Aggies, but every time that they made a run, Texas A&M made a run of their own and eventually won the set 25-20. Now, the Wildcats had to win the next set just to keep the match going.

As what became the common theme of the night, K-State went on a mini-run to get back in the match. Every time the Wildcats would pull with striking distance, the Aggies responded with a run of their own and won the set 25-18.

The loss to the Aggies ended the Wildcats winning streak at eight total matches. The Wildcats are now (13-4, 2-1) on the season and will be looking to rebound from the loss to the Aggies. The Wildcats will be back in action on Wednesday as they will host the Iowa State Cyclones. The Cyclones will enter the match ranked as the number 16 team in the country.

The Wildcats will look to put that game in the past and get back on the right track against Cyclones. Coach Suzie Fritz is very good at getting her team to respond in less than ideal situations. The first serve is set for 7 p.m. at Ahearn Field House. The match will be on Metro Sports in Kansas City, and for the locals, Cox Communications Channel 22 will be airing the game as well.