To the point: Local Red Cross blood drives vital to K-State students, Midwest

0
9

Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood. On average, the human body contains about 10 pints of blood. It seems very apparent that donating blood is a good thing to do. Seeing that a blood donor saved the life of a member of the editorial board, we have some perspective on how important donating blood can be. Donating blood essentially is donating life to another in need.

According to the American Red Cross, only 3 out of every 100 Americans donate blood. Taking into account that regional blood supplies drop when things like natural disasters or any other type of calamity occurs, the need for blood is huge. Also, according to the American Red Cross, 9 percent of donors donate occasionally, 31 percent are first-time donors and 50 percent are regular donors.

The American Red Cross takes many precautions to ensure that both donors and receivers of blood are taken care of. Donors go through various screenings before they are allowed to give blood and the blood is tested afterward. The blood donations collected at mobile locations, like the sites in the K-State Student Union and Putnam Hall today, account for nearly 80 percent of the donations collected in a year.

It seems ridiculous that so very few Americans are willing to help their fellow neighbors, especially given the amount of time and return the average donor receives on this investment. The average donation takes no more than an hour and a half and refreshments are provided afterward. Here at K-State, students also receive a free T-shirt for their donation. The Collegian encourages everyone who is eligible to attempt to donate blood today. We may never know when a K-Stater or a loved one will need a blood transfusion.