Midnight Munchies in Hale

0
17

During the day, Hale Library is bustling, bursting with students studying for tests, hanging out before the next class, sleeping on the comfy couches or even raiding Einstein Brothers for coffee. Even at night, students can be found in the various nooks and crannies.

In fact, during finals week the library can be as busy at night as it is in the day light. These night owls still trade sleep for extra study time, but they have other important needs that can’t be denied as easily, like hunger. Some students get the late night munchies and have food delivered to Hale via Mid Campus Drive.

Hale Library is no ordinary library. While it may contain the books and hunger for knowledge that a normal library would, in response to the lax college lifestyle it allows noise and food.

Roberta Johnson, senior director of administration and IT services, said deliveries directly in the library are against the library code.

“It violates policy,” Johnson said. “Hale’s policy is not to allow food deliveries. We have a relaxed food policy, but we make it clear this isn’t the place for parties.”

Students who wish to have food delivered to Hale should meet the driver outside the library so as not to disturb the other studiers. They should also check to make sure they are ordering food during delivery hours.

Johnson said the library’s main concern is for students to be mindful of trash, and says she sees a lot of wrappers while wandering around the library.

“We see them from all the sandwich shops. The issue with pizza is the smell, but we don’t see a lot of it to my knowledge,” Johnson said. “The problem with extra food is the budget cuts, and if there is a lot of trash, custodial services is at a premium. Since we relaxed our food policy there has been a large increase in trash.”

Jimmy John’s and Pizza Shuttle are just two of the restaurants that deliver to campus in order to capitalize on the late night dollars.

Connor Bridge, senior in biology, said he only ordered food to Hale when necessary, but it made studying more bearable during the long nights.

“I was hungry and was in a studying zone and didn’t want to go home,” Bridge said.

When students study in Hale they normally bring books and laptops, but it might be wiser to bring some cash. Bridge said vendors also accept credit and debit cards. Besides paying for food, they also need to tip the driver. Without these kindly souls, hunger could only be relieved with vending machine tidbits.