‘Battlefield 3’ sneak peak for students, Game performs

0
47

Words began to buzz around campus that something special was happening at K-State on Wednesday night. Many didn’t believe the posters that said they would be presented with the hip-hop artist Game in the evening. Many still didn’t believe it as the night progressed, seeing the crowd at Bosco Plaza slowly drizzle in.

Once the clock struck 9 p.m., fans squeezed closer to others, like sardines in a can, to get that extra inch closer to the man credited with the revival of West-Coast hip-hop. The disc jockey took the stage and dropped right in with some familiar beats. With the sub-woofers vibrating and the snare hits smacking, the crowd was ready for Game.

Meanwhile, up in his dressing room, Game was prepping for his battle with the microphone for the night.

Game traveled all the way from Los Angeles to support EA Sport’s upcoming release, “Battlefield 3.” EA Sports held a demo for students on the first floor of the K-State Student Union before the concert, with plenty of televisions and consoles to go around. Never was a console un-manned, or a screen unwatched, as students were able to get a preview of the game in action. Explosions rocked the screens and bullets whizzed past as the virtual battlefield raged on.

Game has always been a fan of EA games, noting that he’s quite the experienced user when it comes to gaming.

“I’ve been playing EA games probably before everybody at this college was born,” he said. “‘Battlefield’ is one of my favorite games.”

As Game has put on various charity events with EA in the past, he was excited as ever to be a part of another event on such an exciting campus. When asked if this was the only campus he was stopping at with EA, he quickly responded: “It’s the only place I need to talk about. Nothing else matters right now.”

Gaming aside, it was time for him to take the stage. The fog faded out into the crowd and the lights shimmered through the haze. With the DJ’s introduction wrapping up, Game decided it was time to give the crowd what they came here to see.

Having recently released his latest album, “R.E.D.,” Game packed plenty of the tracks from this billboard-topping record into his set.

“I just make music man … I use my heart, I use my kids as motivation, and at the end of the day it all just forms this weird hip-hop Voltron,” he said about his album’s success.

Performing a little bit of everything by use of tease-like previews, Game demanded the crowd to sing along on every song, both new and old. This type of crowd interaction is what this artist is all about.

Game is obviously a man all about the fans, yelling multiple times that K-State was “the best college in the world.” Plenty of shout-outs were given which ranged from Tupac and Biggie Smalls, to recently deceased Steve Jobs. The entire show was streamed live via Facebook on the “Battlefield 3” page. Game took advantage of the opportunity by rhyming into the camera to give his fans worldwide a taste of the show.

“I’m always down to come see the people man wherever it is,” Game said.

The concert goers seemed appreciative overall.

“I think it’s good for K-State to bring in big names like this to mix up the typical music that we see,” said Sam Merriman, senior in business administration.

“I think it’s really exciting because we haven’t really seen this genre represented here yet,” said Blair Johnson, senior in math.

She noted that more events like this would be awesome, and with such a crowd turnout it is obvious the student body agrees.

“Battlefield 3” will hit stores Oct. 25, and who knows, maybe campus players will stumble into an online battle with Game himself as he plays back in Los Angeles.