Comedians come to campus, entertain students

0
9

“Hey, yo DeRay!” This quote has been said numerous times on the show “Wild N’ Out.” Besides this television show, DeRay Davis has made appearances in such movies as “Barbershop” and “Barbershop 2: Back in Business”, “Scary Movie 4,” “Semi-Pro” and many others. He has also made appearances in the HBO hit “Entourage.”

The men of Phi Beta Sigma here at K-State have been fans for a long time and decided that it was time they got him to come to Manhattan. After convincing the Student Governing Association that bringing DeRay Davis would be worth the price and good for the students, it was time to see where they would host the show. They decided on having the performance at Forum Hall in the K-State Student Union because it had great seating and was convenient location for students. After all of this time planning the event, the big night was here.

Before Davis performed, Mike Smith, a comedian from Kansas City went on stage to get the crowd fired up. Smith worked with the crowd during the show, and he gave all of the credit to the audience.

“I was extremely impressed with how attentive the audience was. People think we can just go on stage and instantly put on a performance that the fans will love, and that is not true,” Smith said. “The fans are who give us the energy to perform and they were awesome.”

After Smith was completed his act, it was now time for DeRay to get on stage. As much energy as Smith brought, this is who the crowd had come for.

DeRay came out and instantly had the crowd screaming with laughter. He, like Mike, was able to work with the crowd and had some outstanding jokes. He kept the crowd entertained the whole time.

Jeff Rogers, senior in marketing, could not believe that DeRay was so funny.

“It was great. I have been a fan of his for a long time. I had the expectation that he would be funny, but he was even funnier than I could have ever imagined,” he said. “Pairing him up with Mike Smith made it that much better. I had a ton of fun and I am glad that they were able to get him here.”

After the show, people hung around and bought T-shirts as well as getting their pictures taken with him. The members of the fraternity said they could not have been happier with how the evening went.

“The show was great,” said Patrick Robinson, senior in business entrepreneurship. “It went better than I could have ever imagined. It took a lot of time and working together to make sure that this event went as planned, and to see it turn out the way it did was definitely a blessing.”

Andre Watkins, junior in agricultural technology management, agreed with his fraternity brother.

“The show was funny, hysterical,” he said. “It was a great night.”

All of the proceeds will be going to the American Cancer Society.