Senior year should be enjoyed, make the most of opportunities

0
18

Wow. If last weekend showed me anything it’s that I’m grateful to be a K-Stater. I got to hang out with my family and friends all while wearing one of my favorite colors. My uncle also knows how to throw an awesome tailgate. Being surrounded by family and friends in the parking lot of Bill Snyder Family Stadium made me remember how lucky I am to attend the same university several of my family members attended. The game was awesome. I have the sunburn and eight seconds of national television to prove it. I estimate I received 40 texts and Facebook messages informing me of said accomplishment.

I tend to live in the moment. When I went to the game I had no intention of getting on TV. I just wanted a good seat surrounded by some great friends. From there I just got lucky. This is the second time my luck has paid off; the first time I let the world know that I hate Nebraska. Not every college student gets such opportunities. That being said not every college student waits at the gate until it opens and lets students in three hours early. All Wildcat victories aside, I really have enjoyed my four years at K-State … I also really don’t like Nebraska.

I have been blessed with some great friends and colleagues. Additionally, working for the Collegian has allowed my to explore K-State in a way that very few others have. I have never felt more part of a community than at K-State. Sure there have been issues; I will be the first person to tell that K-State is not a shining beacon of purple perfection (we can’t even agree on the definition of the term ‘man’ in regards to EMAW), but on the whole I really do think we have something really special here.

The people are genuine, they smile as they go from building to building, answer questions and they treat one another like family. That’s rare. It feels like just yesterday I enrolled here, but yet here I am in my senior year about to attempt midterms this week.

Graduating in May really does scare me; people seem to act as though every college senior has their life completely planned out by this point in their life. I struggle to decide if I should pack a lunch or buy something at the K-State Student Union on a daily basis. Instead I’m trying to enjoy every minute of my senior year. As a result, I’ve basically said yes to every opportunity that has come my way.

Between working for the Collegian and leading a freshman learning community in the School of Leadership Studies, I’m still finding time to meet up with friends for coffee or chill out with my family at their tailgate. Last weekend I got to be a judge for the Opus Band Competition and I’m hoping more opportunities will come my way. Basically, I’m putting off my future by focusing on the here and now.

More than anything I want to be able to look back on this year and really think I made the most of my time at K-State. So far I think things are going well. At the end of almost every day I’m exhausted, but know I accomplished many things. Most of the time these accomplishments are small details or behind the scenes things at the Collegian that no one probably notices, but by that point of the day, the last thing I want to worry about is if I’m going to have a job in five years.

Don’t get me wrong, I dream big. Ask my friends and family, and they can ramble off dozens of times where I have told them about my dreams of writing for well-known magazines or hosting a talk show of some kind. I may have my head in the clouds at times, but dwelling on the future beyond a few moments just seems too methodical for me at the moment. However, I have no doubt that I will find a job when the time comes.

One of my favorite quotes is “luck favors the prepared.” I know the experiences I have gained here at K-State have prepared me for whatever comes next when this chapter comes to a close.