‘Cats grab win, sweep Red Raiders

0
46

K-state traveled to Lubbock, Texas, looking to get back on a winning streak after losing their past two matches against the Texas A&M Aggies and the Iowa State Cyclones. The Wildcats put up a gutsy effort in the loss to the Cyclones, and hoped to get that type of effort against the Texas Tech Red Raiders.

Texas Tech entered the match looking for that elusive first conference win. The Red Raiders had the home crowd on their side and it was a key for the Wildcats to get off to a good start to take the fans out of it.

That is exactly what the Wildcats did as they got off to a fast start. The Wildcats jumped out to an eight-point lead and appeared to have the set well in hand. However, the Red Raiders struck back with a big run of their own and took a 22-21 lead. Fortunately, the Wildcat’s defense came to play. The Wildcats blocked the Red Raiders on their next four attempts to win the set 25-22.

In the second set, the Wildcats again got off to a fast start and this time they kept the pressure on the Red Raiders. All-American candidate Kaitlynn Pelger had a great set as she lead the Wildcats with seven kills. The Wildcats had the Red Raiders frustrated as evidenced by head coach Don Flora receiving two yellow cards and eventually a red card which gave the Wildcats a point. The Wildcats won the set 25-16 to go up two sets to zero.

The Wildcats now had the opportunity to go win the match in three sets.

The Red Raiders came out in third set playing well as they took a quick 9-5 lead. However, K-State showed resilience and battled back slowly eventually tied the Red Raiders. Eventually, K-State proved to be too strong for the Red Raiders and won the match and set 25-19.

The Wildcats are now (14-5,3-2) on the season. The Wildcats are off until Saturday when they will be facing the No. 10 ranked Texas Longhorns at Ahearn Field House. The week off will give the Wildcats plenty of time to get rest and healthy. Caitlynn Donahue was unable to play and with this week off, she may be able to go against the Longhorns.

The game has been moved to 3 p.m. on Saturday due to the football game being at 6 p.m. The game will be on K-State HDTV and also can be listened to kstatesports.com