Wildcats look for another Big 12 win, host No. 10 Longhorns

0
37

The Wildcats got back on the winning track as they defeated the Texas Tech Raiders in three sets in their last match in Lubbock, Texas. The Wildcats will hope to build off that victory as they play host to the No. 10 ranked Texas Longhorns. The Longhorns should present that Wildcats with a more difficult challenge than Texas Tech.

The Longhorns enter the match with a record of 11-4, 4-1, including nine wins in their last 10 matches. In their last match, the Longhorns swept the Texas Tech Red Raiders and got a boost from Sha’Dare McNeal.

McNeal injured her knee in the first match of the season against Pepperdine. She made her comeback against Oklahoma, but made her first start since the season opener against the Red Raiders. McNeal had a decent game stat-wise, but it is her experience and versatitlity that will make the Longhorns a tough team for anybody in the country to beat.

The Wildcats, also coming off a victory over Texas Tech, will look to get off to a good start in the game and get the home crowd involved.

The Wildcats defense was the key to the victory against Texas Tech as they blocked the Red Raiders at the net 15 times in the match. This outstanding defense enabled the Wildcats shut down any streak the Red Raiders tried to put up. Another great sign from the game was the re-emergence of All-American candidate Kaitlynn Pelger.

Pelger, who was not her normal dominating self against Iowa State, rebounded nicely against Texas Tech. Pelger almost had a triple double as she had 13 kills, eight digs and eight blocks.

The season is in full swing now as the Wildcats are nearly halfway through conference play. The Wildcats are only one game out of first place in the Big 12 in the loss column. The Wildcats are also on the bubble as far as making the NCAA tournament. They are receiving votes in the top 25, and a win over Texas would give themselves a legitimate shot at making the NCAA tournament.

The match was originally scheduled for a 7 p.m. start, but due to the fact that the football team is playing in Lubbock, Texas at 6 p.m., the game has been moved up to 3 p.m. so that fans can go to the volleyball and still get home in time for the football game.

The match will be on K-State HDTV and also will be broadcasted by Rob Voelker on KMAN 1350.