Wildcats fall short against OU, Sooners win match in fourth set

0
24

The Wildcats appeared to be going up two sets to one against Oklahoma Saturday in Norman. However, an eight point run by Oklahoma gave them a victory in the third set and the Wildcats never recovered as they lost the match in four sets. (20-25, 25-20, 22-25, 21-25).

K-State was able to get a solid day from their hitters as Kaitlynn Pelger, Lilla Porubek and Alex Muff combined for 44 kills, including a career high 13 by Muff.

The first set did not get off to a good start for K-State as Oklahoma started fast with an 11-point lead. K-State battled back against the Sooners to cut the lead to 24-20, but the Sooners scored the next point to win the first set.

The second set was the complete opposite as the Wildcats were the ones with the fast start. The lead was pushed to 20-13 when the Sooners tried to go on a run of their own. The Sooners were able to cut the lead to 24-20. However, Pelger ended the match with a kill to tie the match at one set apiece.

This is where it appeared that the Wildcats seemed to be taking control of the match.

In the third set, the Wildcats and Sooners battled, but then a run by the Wildcats gave them a 22-17 lead. The Wildcats were only three points away from winning the match. However, Carlee Roethlisberger, the younger sister of Super Bowl quarter back of Ben Roethlisberger, had two kills during the run as the Sooners came back for the victory.

The tough loss for the Wildcats meant that they were now down two sets to zero instead of up.

The Wildcats now had to win the fourth set just to extend the match to a fifth set.

In the fourth set, the Sooners were able to keep the Wildcats at arm’s length the entire set. The Sooners held a lead of 19-18 when they went on a three-point streak to push the lead to 22-18. The teams exchanged points for the rest of the set and pulled out the 25-21 victory.

The Wildcats have a season record of (15-7,4-4). The Wildcats are getting close to the end of the season and are in a battle with Missouri, Texas A&M for fourth place in the Big 12 standings.

K-State will be back in action on Wednesday as the Wildcats will host the Missouri Tigers at Ahearn Field House. First serve is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. and the match will be televsised on Fox Sports Kansas City.