Looking forward to Thanksgiving break

0
18

Thanksgiving and fall break is the time of year when the fall colors change and the leaves begin to fall. It’s the time when students get antsy about going home and may have a hard time keeping up with classes. This is the time of year that we make the trek home to spend time with our families.

Being an out-of-state student, there are many things I look forward to when it comes to the topic of Thanksgiving and fall break.

There is nothing more exciting to me than making the nine-hour drive back to Minnesota. Some people may hear that and scowl, but that means I am nine hours closer to my own bed that I don’t have to climb a ladder to get into.

The greatest thing about break is catching up on sleep. Being able to sleep until after noon without an alarm going off or people yelling at you to go to class are some things to be missed. Just being able to peacefully sleep and not having a single worry in the world is one of the most rewarding feelings. Being justifiably lazy without a care in the world is what I have to look forward to.

Thanksgiving is all about the food in family. Preparing food for five hours before we actually sit down to eat is something that is memorable and missed. I have longed to have a home cooked meal since I have not been home since coming down to K-State. The first bite of homemade stuffing and indulging in turkey and mashed potatoes is the most rewarding and fulfilling thing in the world to me.

Coming together with four generations of family members for a meal is something that is rare in most families. Getting all of my family together in one place at one time is an accomplishment. With family members in Kansas, Illinois and scattered throughout Minnesota, it is difficult for us all to catch up at one time in one place.

Talking for hours and telling each other how life has been is something to be grateful for. Many in-state students have the luxury of being able to go home on weekends or have their family members come to campus. I haven’t seen my mom since August and I miss her.

Every time I call her, I want nothing more than a hug, especially when I am having a bad day. I am looking forward to being able to have a face-to-face conversation with her and see her smile again. Not seeing my family members for months on end have been quite difficult for me.

This Thanksgiving and fall break, be thankful for the people you have in your life. I have often found myself dwelling on missing my family and missing Minnesota. But it makes me immensely more grateful for my family. Going home for this holiday season and catching up with everyone is going to be make the nine hour drive completely worth it.

With this break quickly approaching us, be sure to remain focused. This break is a time to spend with family and reunite to tell stories. But don’t forget that there is still school left before the break.

Unite with your family, eat some food and be happy you are not at K-State for more than seven days.