Country artist Jason Boland to visit Aggieville

0
17

Editor’s Note: This article was completed as an assignment for a class in the A.Q. Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communications.

Jason Boland and the Stragglers will be returning to Manhattan on Nov. 10 to perform at Longhorns Saloon.

The band identifies with red dirt country music, a genre derived from the color of the soil in Oklahoma. Red dirt has been defined as country music with an attitude, or a sound that successfully closes the gap between rock and country music. Bluegrass, folk, Americana and honky tonk are all sounds associated with red dirt.

Jason Boland and the Stragglers formed in 1998 in Stillwater, Okla., and have released eight albums since, including their most recent, “Rancho Alto.” Boland wrote or co-wrote eight of the 11 tracks on the album. “Rancho Alto” is distinguished for its distinct incorporation of familiar country themes and a fresh take on more serious social matters.

Longhorns Saloon is often considered Aggieville’s country hot spot. The bar features many red dirt and Texas country musicians around the country, including Reckless Kelly, Randy Rogers Band and Josh Abbott Band, to name a few. Jason Boland and the Stragglers will add to Longhorn’s history of red dirt bands that have performed there.