Wildcats look to avenge early season loss to Iowa State Cyclones

0
28

The Wildcats (18-9, 7-6) enter the match against Iowa State coming off of a loss to No. 8 ranked Texas last Saturday in Austin, Texas. The Wildcats were able to win the first set 25-23, but the Longhorns came back to win the next three sets to take the match.

K-State will look to get back on the winning track, but another tough opponent stands in their way, as the the Iowa State Cyclones will enter the match (20-4, 11-2).

The Cyclones have only lost to Texas in conference play, and they swept the Wildcats in three sets when the two teams faced in Ahearn Field House on Oct. 5. In that match, the Wildcats were without setter Caitlyn Donahue, but were able to stay right with the Cyclones for the entire three sets.

Iowa State will be led by Carly Jensen, who averages nearly four kills a set on the season.

Jensen is the leader of an offense that features four players averaging over two kills a set. The Cyclones have been especially tough at home, where they have only lost one match all year.

The Wildcats come into the match, despite the loss to Texas, having played some of their best volleyball of the season. With the back-to-back victories over the Texas A&M and Oklahoma, the Wildcats put themselves in the tournament discussion.

The Wildcats have leaned upon Lilla Porubek as Kaitlynn Pelger continues to recover from her injury sustained against Texas A&M over a week ago.

Porubek had a career high 23 kills in the victory over the Sooners and followed that up with 13 kills against the Longhorns on Saturday. The Wildcats will look for her to continue her strong play as they travel to take on Iowa State.

The game will help the Wildcats’ tournament resume as their 26th ranked RPI will take a boost as the Cyclones enter the game with the No. 2 ranked RPI.