Wildcats sweep Hawks in first double-header of the season

0
38

K-State added two more to their victory column on Saturday as they played their first double header of the season against Hartford. Coming off a 14-3 win the night before, the Wildcats were looking to stay hot.

The Wildcats grabbed an early lead in the first game when senior Jake Brown doubled down the left field line to bring home Ross Kivett and Tanner Witt.

K-State would bring home another run in the 5th inning when Dan Klein singled to left to bring home Blair Debord to make it 3-0. Hartford would score 1 run in the 7th to bring it back to a two-run game.

The Wildcats then took over the game by unloading 4 runs in the 7th inning and another 3 runs in the 8th inning. Hartford put 1 more on the board in the 9th off of a solo homerun by Brian Hunter, but they simply did not have the offense to mount a comeback.

Joe Flattery earned his third win of the season pushing his record to 3-1 on the year. Flattery went 6.1 innings giving up only 1 earned run, 7 hits, and recording 7 strikeouts. Jake Doller was awarded the save pitching 2.2 innings to close the game.

Game 2 of the double-header started off a little slower. It took 4 innings before the Wildcats reached the scoreboard before putting up 5 runs in the 5th inning. Jake Brown and Jared King both recorded 1 RBI while Tanner Witt had 2 RBI.

Hartford would answer back in the 6th inning by putting up 2 runs, however the Wildcats were not done scoring as they put 1 more run on the board in the 6th off of a Ross Kivett single bringing home Dusty Maas.

In the 7th inning both teams would put more runs on the board. Hartford started by putting another run on the board, cutting their deficit down to only 3 runs. However the Wildcats added 2 more runs off of a solo home-run by Wade Hinkle and an RBI single by Jake Brown making the score 8-3.

The score would stay at 8-3 giving the Wildcats two victories on the day. Kayvon Bahramzadeh would get credit for the win, pushing his season record to 3-0. Nate Williams was given credit for the save.

Senior shortstop Jake Brown lead the way for the Wildcats on the day going 6-6 with 5 RBI in the first game and 2-4 with 2 RBI in the second game. Brown tied a school record with 8 hits in one day.

“I felt like I was seeing the ball pretty well and felt comfortable in the box, it was just an overall pretty good feeling day” Jake Brown said about his record-tying.

“He was getting good swings all day long,” head coach Brad Hill on Brown’s day, “and had a good approach of what he was doing and he was doing it against righties and lefties.”

K-State will look to keep the sweep going Sunday morning as they take on Hartford for the fourth and last time of the series in Tointion Family Stadium at 11 a.m.