St. Patrick’s Day drinks

0
13

Editor’s Note: This article was completed as an assignment for a class in the A.Q. Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communications.

Fake Patty’s Day may be over, but that doesn’t mean the fun and festivities have to come to an end. Actually, the fun has just begun. Some of you may have forgotten, but there is actually a real Irish holiday called St. Patrick’s Day, and here in America it revolves heavily around one thing: drinks.

Whether you just didn’t get your fill on Fake Patty’s Day or you want to throw a full blown Irish-themed party to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, here are some alcoholic and non-alcoholic drink ideas to help you celebrate this Irish holiday to the fullest.

The Green Tarantula

You may have heard of this one because you may have had it on Fake Patty’s day. This is a signature drink from Aggieville’s own Auntie Mae’s Parlor. At Auntie Mae’s they use all of the clear liquors, sour, pineapple, 7Up and Mr. Boston melon liqueur, which makes the drink green. All the ingredients are mixed together in a large glass.

“It’s a whole lot of liquor, I think they are quite dangerous,” said Auntie Mae’s bartender, Amy Webb, senior in psychology. “I always tell people I would start with a tarantula, and I would never end with a tarantula.”

Many people that take on the green tarantula have a partner help them. So find a friend, get two straws, and kick St. Patrick’s Day off with a green tarantula.

Irish Car Bomb

The Irish Car Bomb is a classic St Patrick’s Day drink. You may have had an Irish Car Bomb on Fake Patty’s also, and likely it came from O’Malley’s Alley in Aggieville under the name of a Belfast Bomb.

“It’s half a pint of Guinness and a shot that has our special ratio of Bushmills [Irish whiskey], Bailey’s [Irish cream liqueur] and Kahlua,” said O’Malley’s bartender Morgan Armbruster, junior in microbiology.

Pour half a pint of Guinness into a glass then drop the shot of Irish whiskey, Bailey’s and Kahlua mixture in and drink it down before the cream curdles.

The Gin Buck

This Gin Buck actually doesn’t use gin. It uses whiskey, Irish whiskey that is. Go with Jameson or Bushmills. Pour the whiskey into a glass with ice, add some ginger ale and add a little lime for that final touch. Sit back, sip and enjoy.

“It’s a good drink to hang out and catch up with friends so you don’t pass out by noon,” said Ross Ditch, senior in kinesiology.

The Shillelagh

If you want to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with a nonalcoholic beverage then The Shillelagh is for you. According to cocktails.lovetoknow.com, Shillelagh is named after an Irish walking stick, which is a symbol of the Irish way of life. The Shillelagh consists of three ingredients: one teaspoon of lemon juice, one teaspoon powdered sugar and four ounces of peach juice. Pour all ingredients into a shaker and shake well. Strain the mixture over ice and garnish with a couple of raspberries for a tasty, refreshing Irish themed drink.

The Fizzing Irishman

The Fizzing Irishman is another great non-alcoholic option for Irish themed drinks. This one would even make a refreshing “Day-After-St. Patty’s” drink. According to themed-party-ideas.com, all you need to make the Fizzing Irishman is one lime and one lemon, two to three tablespoons of powdered sugar and sparkling water. Squeeze the juice out of the lime and lemon into a shaker, add the powdered sugar and ice. Shake well then pour into a glass filled with sparkling water.

If you choose to party on St. Patrick’s Day or want to take a more chill approach to this Irish holiday, these Irish-themed drinks should be just what you need to enjoy yourself on March 17. And maybe even bring back some fond, possibly forgotten, memories of Fake Patty’s.

Ty Mosier is a sophomore in public relations. Please send comments to edge@kstatecollegian.com.