Two- minute drill

0
53

NFL

Last Tuesday, Peyton Manning decided to take his talents to the Denver Broncos after being released by the Indianapolis Colts. Manning’s signing ultimately led the Broncos to trade quarterback Tim Tebow to the New York Jets, ending “TebowMania” in Denver. However, the Jets still have quarterback Mark Sanchez on the roster, raising questions. Sanchez was drafted in the first round by the Jets in 2009 and has four road playoff wins in his early career, leading some to speculate whether the Tebow trade was intended more to generate publicity than to improve the team. “Let me be really clear about this, we work for the fans, and the fans want us to win games,” Jets owner Woody Johnson said in an interview with ESPN. “So all of the decisions we make regarding the team are just for football.”

NCAA Basketball

March Madness continued over the weekend with two more of the No. 1 seeds losing in the Elite Eight. On Saturday in Boston, No. 2 seed Ohio State Buckeyes knocked off No. 1 seed Syracuse. The second upset came on Sunday in St. Louis, Mo., when the No. 2 seed Kansas Jayhawks defeated the No. 1 seed, the UNC Tarheels, leaving only one No. 1 seed in the tournament. The Kentucky Wildcats are ranked as the No. 1 overall seed, and after they took care of No. 3 seed Baylor on Sunday, they will try for a repeat against No. 4 seed Louisville this Saturday in New Orleans. Two No. 2 seeds will clash as well on Saturday when Kansas takes on Ohio State. These two teams met early in the season at Allen Fieldhouse and Kansas came away with the win.

Golf

On Sunday, Tiger Woods returned to the spotlight with his first win since 2009 by winning the Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill. Since Woods’ infamous sex scandal in 2009, he dropped from his No. 1 world ranking, lost sponsors and was also plagued with injuries. Fans saw the win as a great step for Woods toward getting back to his old form. “I’m looking forward to the momentum I’ve built here,” Woods said to ESPN.