K-State opens home series tonight

0
50

Coming off the team’s worst performance of the year, the Wildcats will look to bounce back against Sacred Heart as they start their three-game home series. K-State (14-14, 3-6 Big 12 Conference) will take on Sacred Heart (10-6, 7-5 Northeast Conference) at Tointon Family Stadium at 6:30 p.m. today.

The Wildcats come into the series on a bit of a slump, winning only two of their last 10 games, including a shut-out loss to the hands of Nebraska on Tuesday night at home. The Pioneers, however, come into the series as winners of seven of their last 10 games.

Home field advantage could play a big role in the series. Even though the Wildcats have lost their last two games at home, they hold a home record of 7-4 in front of their home crowd so far this season, while Sacred Heart has a record of 1-7 on the road. K-State cannot overlook Sacred Heart’s bad luck on the road.

Sacred Heart is hitting .278 as a team while allowing opponents an average of .300. The Pioneers are led by junior infielder John Murphy, who is hitting .347 with 13 RBIs and one home run.

The Wildcats will need to get the bats going in the series after scoring a total of three runs in their last two games.

Sophomore outfielder Jared King has been leading the Wildcats so far this season hitting .379 with 17 RBIs and three home runs. Another Wildcat who will have to step up is senior infielder Wade Hinkle. Hinkle is leading the Wildcats with 29 RBIs and five home runs, but only has one hit in his last three games.

The game can be aired on KMAN-AM 1350, as well as broadcast on K-State HD.