Two- minute drill

0
41

MLB

Miami Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen held a press conference Tuesday morning apologizing for his comments about Fidel Castro. Earlier in the week, Guillen was suspended five games for his comments. During the press conference, a tearful Guillen begged for forgiveness in front of the media and everyone watching on television. Guillen’s comments offended a great number of Miami residents and members of the Cuban-American community, many of whom believe that Guillen should have lost his job or received a longer suspension.

A few days after Roger Goodell denied the New Orleans Saints’ attempt to lessen head coach Sean Payton’s suspension, Bill Parcells announced that he will remain in retirement. Parcells’ name has been linked with the Saints ever since Payton said that he had phone contact with Parcells. Parcells had a long, successful career in the NFL as a head coach, winning two Super Bowls with New York Giants. He also led the New England Patriots to the Super Bowl in 1996. Payton coached under Parcells when he was an assistant coach with the Dallas Cowboys.

It was announced Wednesday that former NBA player Stephon Marbury will be getting his own bronze statue in China. Basketball fans remember Marbury for his role with the New York Knicks, where he averaged 17.6 points per game over five seasons, but especially for his bad boy image. Marbury played 13 seasons in the NBA before going to China, where he found immediate success. This year, Marbury led the Bejing Ducks to a CBA Championship where he scored 41 points in the final game to give the Ducks the title. However, Marbury was not allowed to win the MVP award because of CBA rules.

Wednesday was National Signing Day for college basketball, which answered the big questions of where top two high school recruits Nerlens Noel and Shabazz Muhammad would play college ball. Noel is rated as the No. 1 recruit in college basketball, while Muhammad was rated No. 2. Muhammad was the first to make his decision public when he announced on Wednesday night that he would be going to UCLA. Noel followed up by announcing that he would join 2012 national champions Kentucky.