K-Staters believe homework beneficial in college

0
26

A study conducted by Richard Walker, an educational psychologist at Sydney University, reported on grade school students and the relationship between homework and test scores. The study, published in full in his book “Reforming Homework,” showed that there is a limit to the amount of good that homework does for students at those ages.

“There is little benefit for most students until senior [year of] high school,” Walker said.

At the university level, K-Staters seem to agree that homework is beneficial to their studies whether they like it or not.

Natalie Bromm, junior in elementary education, said homework has helped her learn the material better because of the structure of the class.

“I think homework helps since that is what is going to be on the test,” she said. “I feel like if we didn’t have to the homework, we wouldn’t have to sit down and learn the material.”

Katie Reitan, junior in social work, said at times, she feels like she has done more homework than learning information she was actually supposed to know. However, she said those times were in high school, not in college.

“Depending on the subject, with the reading material, I found myself reading a lot and if the subject was difficult, I would not understand more from reading about it,” Reitan said. “It is one of those deals where you are reading the words and thinking about something else from it.”

Reitan said at the college level, whether students like homework or not, it is not a waste of time.

“I think it’s good to do homework. It helps further your learning. Now I think it is how one approaches homework,” Reitan said. “We all don’t enjoy homework because it takes time and if you dislike the subject that makes it worse, but it is not a complete waste of time.”

Thomas Lachowsky, sophomore in creative writing, said homework works better for some than others, but homework is still necessary for all students.

“I have classes that give me a lot of homework. I have always figured I did better just by going to class and paying attention because that was just what worked for me,” Lachowsky said. “But you may do better by paying attention to detail in the homework and then do better in the class.”

Lachowsky said it all depends on what works best for people.

In the end, after all the summer breaks playing Alice Cooper’s “School’s Out,” students, when given the chance to comment on their workload, see the value of having homework.

Some think that it might work better for others while others feel it is their only immersion in the material.

“I can see the value of homework to teach concepts not covered in class,” Lachowsky said. “Homework serves a purpose, but some people respond better to it.”