Alpha Xi Delta house mother talks grandchildren, best K-State memories

0
23

Linda Vejvoda, house mom of Alpha Xi Delta, spoke with the Collegian about her life as a mom to dozens of girls. This is what she had to say.

Q: What made you want to become a house mom?

A: It kind of evolved out of a real desire to move to Manhattan after I retired, which was almost two years ago. I was in mental health counseling in Nebraska. My closest children live here, along with my grandchildren, so I got my Kansas license and thought I’d work something here part-time. I met another house mom on campus and she told me, ‘Oh, you would be great.’ So it got me curious and I started to ask about what the job entailed.

So a year ago, I came down and toured the place and fell in love with everything – the idea, the women. I thought, ‘I can be a mom. I have plenty of experience.’ And it has been a perfect fit for me.

Q: What is a typical day like for you?

A: It varies. I have a membership at the Rec and the Natatorium, so I’ll go there. A lot of times I take the girls with me. It’s a good time for us to spend some quality time together so that’s really fun. If the weather is unpleasant, I usually offer up rides for the girls. That’s another time for us to talk.

I keep my door open pretty much all day except for when I’m sleeping at night. They have been free to come in and do come in, sit on my floor, talk about what’s bothering them. Sometimes I host ‘movie nights at Mom’s.’ After what I’ve done with my career, it’s just been so uplifting for me. I really think I’ve found my niche.

Q: Do you have any favorite memories as a house mom?

A: Well, this is my first year. Let’s see, I loved homecoming; I worked on a float for the first time in my life. I like when they get all dressed up and look like they’re on the red carpet. And I really enjoy the dad’s weekend and the mom’s weekend – when you get to meet the families, that’s always really fun. Rush week was, of course, my first experience with the ladies, and it was a jaw-dropping experience. All the preparation, planning, it was incredible to see.

I think every day is different. There is always something going on, which is what I love about it the most I think.

Q: How do you balance having this job and also being a mother and grandmother?

A: I’ve always balanced my life with prayer or meditation. I swim five days a week. I take care of my health. I guess what I try to do is stay in the moment. Never stay ahead of today, that’s what I always tell the girls.

My other goal is to live a simple life. So I live in a little apartment, which fills my needs as well.

Q: If you had any advice for girls looking to move into a sorority house for the first time, what are some motherly words of wisdom you could give them?

A: Just to remember that everyone is different. Everyone has a different way of viewing the world. There is really no right or wrong.

-Compiled by Kelsey Castanon