Purple, White teams end game with 42-42 tie

0
39

On Saturday afternoon, 18,048 people came out to Bill Snyder Family Stadium to watch the K-State football team play their annual Purple-White Spring Game. Ending with a final score of 42-42, the game gave Wildcat fans their first look at the 2012-13 football team.

Before the game, the Wildcats announced the four captains of the 2012-13 season. The list included junior safety Ty Zimmerman, sophomore center B.J. Finney, senior linebacker Arthur Brown and senior quarterback Collin Klein.

“I was proud of our players for selecting the leadership that they did,” said head coach Bill Snyder. “We had over 30 guys receive votes for being a captain, which I take as a really positive thing.”

In post-game interviews, Zimmerman talked about getting selected as one of the four captains.

“The great thing about this team is that we have so many leaders, so many guys that lead by example, that come out and get vocal and guys that just work hard each and every day,” Zimmerman said. “But you have to have those four guys to come and to be kind of a voice for the whole team, and to be one of them is a humbling honor.”

The Spring Game gave fans a glimpse of what they will see in the upcoming year. Even though it is really no more than just an organized practice, it gets the fans ready for the season.

In this year’s Spring Game, the first-string offense was matched up with the second-string defense and the second-string offense went up against the first-string defense. This allows people to see the projected starters and have a first look at the back-ups.

However, the Spring Game is played a little differently from a normal football game. In the first half, the first-string offense, or the Purple team, was able to put away 35 points. In the second half, however, the score was flip-flopped, and the Purple team went into the half facing a 35-point deficit.

One of the rules of the Spring Game is that the quarterback cannot be tackled, so Wildcat fans got to see a different offense than they became accustomed to last year.

Klein, who made a name for himself last year by running the ball, ran a different offense in the Spring Game. Klein went 47-56 for the day with 49 yards rushing.

“Collin played well,” Snyder said. “I thought he played a little better in the first half then he did in the second half.”

Junior wide receiver Tramaine Thompson made a big impact on the day as one of Klein’s primary receivers. Thompson caught nine passes for 147 yards and one touchdown. Another wide receiver that caught the eyes of fans was sophomore Curry Sexton, who caught eight passes for 153 yards and two touchdowns.

Fans, however, did not get to see sophomore wide receiver Tyler Lockett playing on the field, but he was on the sidelines in a purple sweatsuit.

“He’s gone through 14 1/2 practices and yesterday, you know, he pulls up a little bit and I didn’t want to take the chance,” Snyder said.

Lockett was named a Walter Camp All-American last season despite only playing in nine games because of injury.

After an exciting game, the score was tied at 42-42 with less than two minutes left to play. The Purple team had a chance in the red zone to score for the win. However, Klein’s pass was picked off by sophomore defensive back Weston Hiebert, and the game ended in a tie.

“We wanted to take a shot and see if we could score a touchdown,” Klein said. “Just tried to make a play and score at the end, but just made a mistake.”

Snyder also commented about Klein’s interception.

“That was my mistake,” Snyder said. “We could have centered the ball up and kicked a field goal and let the Purple win it, but, you know, I got greedy.”

The Wildcats take the field for the start of their 2012-13 season on Sept. 1 when they take on Missouri State in Bill Snyder Family Stadium.