National Hot Dog Month celebrated in July

0
19

Break out your buns and condiments ladies and gentlemen, it’s that time of year again: National Hot Dog Month.
I know what you’re thinking: with Independence Day just finishing up, there will be fewer occasions to fire up the grill and enjoy the sweet smell of meat sizzling over the flames. But luckily we have the whole month to celebrate this wonderful piece of – well, mostly meat.
According to the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council, Americans enjoy 150 million hot dogs on the Fourth of July alone. That would be enough to stretch from Washington, D.C., to Los Angeles five times, according to the council’s website.
The origin of the hot dog is one of mystery as many claim to have created the little cylinder of meat. Like many iconic “American foods,” the hot dog was likely not created in America, but brought to our great country by immigrants.
One of the great things about hot dogs is that they are flexible, not only in their flimsy form but with their many toppings. Whether you like ketchup, mustard, relish, onions, chili, cheese or even sauerkraut, we can all agree that we get to create them how we like. And don’t be afraid to spice things up; July is also National Horseradish Month.
Kelo Webster, sophomore in business administration and avid hot dog fanatic, prefers his dogs to be transformed into dessert form by adding hot fudge and whipped cream.
“Hot dogs are one of the only food items that I consider to be versatile enough to be ate at any time of the day,” Webster said.
Local Sonic employee Caleb Gorman said he has noticed a recent pickup in hot dog orders.
“I had no idea that it was National Hot Dog Month, but with the amount of hot dogs we cook up on a day-to-day basis, it makes sense,” Gorman said.
For those who are health-conscious, there is both good and bad news. The bad news is many hot dogs contain ingredients that are bad for you, such as high fat content and lots of sodium, not to mention fillers. The good news is there are a lot of healthier hot dogs out there: low-fat alternatives, all-meat with no fillers, even veggie dogs. Even if you just eat hot dogs as an occasional treat, it’s a good idea to read the labels and familiarize yourself with the nutrition content. In an article titled “Best and Worst Hot Dogs” on Health.com, nutritionist Carolyn Brown recommended selecting dogs with no more than 150 calories, 14 grams of fat and 450 milligrams of sodium apiece.
Whether you are at the ballpark or grilling outside with family and friends, hot dogs are a practical and simple meal option. And so it is with great pride that I say, I don’t always eat hot dogs, but when I do, I like mine with ketchup and mustard. Stay hungry, my friends.

Cale Miller is a sophomore in mass communications. Karen Ingram is a senior in English. Please send comments to edge@kstatecollegian.com