Local company partners with College of Business Administration

0
24

GTM Sportswear has set up product displays and a booth on the third floor of Calvin Hall this week to give away not only sunglasses, T-shirts and drink cozies, but also information on job opportunities and internships as part of the College of Business Administration’s GTM Week.

GTM Sportswear is based in Manhattan and provides custom uniforms and warm-up and practice gear to colleges, elementary schools, high schools and club teams across the country. They also have stores in Lawrence and Topeka.

GTM created the semi-permanent cushion seating for K-State athletics in 1998 and has since patented the design and marketed it to over 80 universities.

“We are trying to collaborate with the business school administration and raise awareness of GTM internships and jobs,” said Kari Krier, executive assistant at GTM. “We have dozens of internships for the summer and job opportunities are endless. We are always hiring, not just in Manhattan, but all over the U.S.”

GTM is offering students opportunities this week as well as their expertise in business. Executives will be speaking in a total of 17 classes, including Human Resource Management, Business Foundations and Professional Selling, as well as addressing organizations like Business Ambassadors and the Society of Human Resource Management.

“This will be a great opportunity for student, faculty and industry
interaction that will lead to an even closer relationship between GTM
and the college,” said Ali Malekzadeh, dean of the
College of Business Administration.

Malekzadeh said Dave Dreiling, owner of GTM and K-State alum, and his company “offer great insight into the business world.”

A member of the class of 1989 with a degree in marketing, Dreiling is a member of the Dean’s Business Advisory Council. He started GTM right after graduating, and in 1992 Dreiling was named Young Entrepreneur of the Year by the Small Business Administration for the states of Kansas and Missouri.

Originally GTM was called It’s Greek To Me, a company that traveled around the Midwest in a van selling greek apparel to fraternities and sororities. The company started out with five employees — in addition to Dreiling, there was business partner David Barnes and three additional sales representatives.

Sales exceeded $500,000 during the first year. Over the next few years, Dreiling began to buy out Barnes and sales exceeded $1 million. Recently sales have surpassed $43 million with an annual growth rate of 25 percent. The company also employs nearly 900 people nationwide.

Dreiling was inspired to collaborate with the college after seeing Malekzadeh’s commitment to educational experience through partnerships with local businesses.

“Business students are the key to the future growth and success of
K-State and the Manhattan community,” Dreiling said. ”We want to show students what GTM
is all about and why we’re the right fit for internships and careers
after college.” 

GTM Week gives students and faculty the opportunity to network with the
corporation’s employees and gain real life lessons. The
corporation gets access to faculty for a chance to develop lasting
relationships and learn about their ongoing research while students have the opportunity to network and attend recruitment events.

“We are determined to expand our relationship and interactions with our
corporate partners; we have a lot to learn from each other,” Malekzadeh
said. “With GTM Week we are starting a model partnership that will
benefit students, faculty and industry.”

GTM will be in Calvin Hall’s third floor lobby until Friday at 2 p.m. The company will also be offering tours of GTM’s 160,000 square foot headquarters on Friday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. The week will end with a GTM-sponsored C. Clyde Jones Fun Run on the K-State campus on Saturday as part of K-State Family Day.