Two-minute drill

0
30

NFL

On Monday it was reported that Indianapolis Colts head coach Chuck Pagano was diagnosed with acute promyelocytic leukemia. According to NFL.com, an oncology/hematology expert reported that this disease is relatively “easy to treat compared to other forms of acute leukemia and that it is potentially curable.”

Pagano is expected to miss several weeks of the season and doctors told him he could be hospitalized for up to six weeks. Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is taking over as head coach in Pagano’s absence. 

“I know he is just ready to take this fight on, and he’s a fighter,” said Colts owner Jim Irsay, according to NFL.com.

NFL

After injuring his left foot on Sunday, New York Jets receiver Santonio Holmes was scheduled to undergo an MRI on Monday, according to a Monday Sporting News article by J. P. Pelzman. The extent of the injury is still a mystery, as Jets’ medical staff is attempting to determine if there is any muscle or ligament damage. Coach Rex Ryan said there is no fracture and indicated it’s likely Holmes will be out for a few weeks; no actual timetable was given due to a lack of complete diagnosis. 

NBA

The Chicago Bulls announced a four-year contract extension with coach Tom Thibodeau on Monday, according to ESPNChicago.com. Thibodeau was hired two summers ago after serving as an assistant for the Boston Celtics. The Bulls have led the league in regular-season wins since Thibodeau started.

While reports last season said that Thibodeau was unhappy an extension had not been secured, general manager Gar Forman continuously stated that is was their intention to lock up Thibodeau long-term.  

“This is where I wanted to be,” Thibodeau said during the Bulls’ media day Monday.  

NCAAB

North Carolina coach Roy Williams recently had a tumor removed from his right kidney, and, according to ESPN.com, the Hall of Fame coach said he felt like “a blessed human being” after learning the tumor was benign.  

Williams chose to wait to tell his players until the night before his surgery because he didn’t want there to be speculation about his health. This week, Williams will have a biopsy on a tumor on his left kidney.