Two-minute drill

0
21

NFL

Green Bay Packers wide receiver Greg Jennings will sit out Sunday’s game against the Indianapolis Colts due to a re-aggravated groin injury. Jennings missed week two with the injury and had to sit out the second half of this past Sunday’s game against the New Orleans Saints. According to an Oct. 4 NFL.com article by Dan Hanzus, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said, “We’re going to shut him down for the week, and he’s going to stay in the rehab process until next week.” 

MLB

The Boston Red Sox fired manager Bobby Valentine on Thursday, after he went 69-93 in his only year with the Red Sox, the worst season in nearly 50 years. According to an ESPN.com article, general manager Ben Cherington said,”No single issue is the reason, and no single individual is to blame. … With a historic number of injuries, Bobby was dealt a difficult hand. He did the best he could under seriously adverse circumstances, and I am thankful to him.” Valentine is the first manager to last just one season with the Red Sox since 1934.

NBA

Former Boston Celtics forward Rasheed Wallace has come out of retirement to sign with the New York Knicks, the team announced Wednesday. Wallace retired after 15 years, spending the 2009-10 season with the Boston Celtics. According to an ESPN.com article, Wallace signed a “non-guaranteed contract for the veteran’s minimum of $1.7 million.” 

Coach Mike Woodson started talking to Wallace six months ago about a possible return. It’s unclear when Wallace will be in shape to take the floor with the Knicks after spending two years out of the NBA. 

NCAAF

TCU’s starting quarterback Casey Pachall was arrested on Thursday for driving while intoxicated. According to a CBSSports.com article by Matt Hinton, “Coach Gary Patterson confirmed in a brief statement that Pachall has been suspended indefinitely.” 

In police reports earlier this year, Pachall reportedly admitted to failing a drug test for marijuana and using cocaine and ecstasy. While Pachall was not charged in the campus-wide drug bust, four other football players faced charges and were dismissed from the team. According to Hinton’s article, “Pachall ranks fifth nationally in pass efficiency with 948 yards and 10 touchdown passes to only one interception.”