SGA allocates travel money to Wildcraft Club

0
23

The Student Governing Association carried on a heated debate in the Big 12 Room regarding allocating money to the Wildcraft Club on Thursday. The bill was passed after a 38-22 vote in favor of allocating the new club money for their trip to Lincoln, Neb.

The bill regarding the Wildcraft Club was introduced last week for the allocation of funds to allow 16 members of the group to travel for a gaming tournament. The room was split on the issue with some members noting a lack of educational value in the group, while others argued to support the group on the grounds that it fosters communication and socialization among a group of students who are not usually involved on campus.

“[These students are] getting together, [which] sparks ideas,” said Kayla Mohnsen, freshman in biological systems engineering.

However, Ellen Collingwood, sophomore in pre-journalism and mass communications, said that even though she supports the club, she does not support allocating them the money due to the lack of educational content involved.

SGA also announced that the ongoing food service negotiations with Chartwells are over. 

Speaker of the Student Senate Emilee Taylor, senior in sociology, informed the room that the university is no longer looking into a new contract with current food service provider Chartwells and instead signed a contract with a new company, Sodexo.

Additionally, a new system has been implemented to allow students to attend the KU basketball game. 

SGA received a briefing on the new points system that will be enforced during the upcoming basketball season. The new system will reward students who are constant supporters throughout the season with earlier entry into the game against KU.

Students will gain a point for every basketball game they attend, and students with the most points will be let in first and have the best seats. The new system was enacted because of the inefficiency, according to the SGA, of the previous system and prevents students from having to camp out to get the best seats.

The meeting also included speeches from two candidates running for political office.

Aaron Estabrook, a Democrat running for the 67th district, and Tom Hawk, a Democrat running for state senate, spoke to the SGA about their beliefs on funding for education. Both support an increase in funding for education, which they said will be gained by rescinding the tax cut for the wealthy.

“Tuition at K-State has risen by 108.4 percent in the last 10 years,” Hawk said. “We can’t price you out with tuition hikes”

SGA will meet again next Thursday in the Big 12 room of the K-State Student Union at 7 p.m.