Two-minute drill

0
14

NFL

Due to the complications caused by the already infamous “Frankenstorm” in Hurricane Sandy, the NFL will be closing its doors and moving back the trade deadline to 4 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 1, the Associated Press reported Monday. The 32 teams were notified of this on Monday.

This switch marks the second time that the deadline has been changed so far this year. The first change pushed the deadline back by two weeks in hopes that the extra allotted time would result in more trades. The NFL is just one of many organizations temporarily closing down in preparation for the storm. 

MLB

New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi reportedly reached out to Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez after drama was caused with a pinch-hit during Game 3 of the ALCS against the Tigers, according to ESPN’s Wallace Matthews on Monday. Girardi initiated a telephone conversation with Rodriguez on Friday in an effort to mend the relationship between the two.

Raul Ibanez was called into the game to pinch hit for Rodriguez after the Yankees slugger was caught in a not-so-stellar playoff performance, only going 3-for-25 at the plate throughout the postseason. The PA announcer typically announces the pinch-hitter and the batter being replaced in the at-bat, but Girardi told the announcer at the stadium to omit Rodriguez’s name when he announced the pinch-hit to spare him “any further embarrassment.”

NFL

Chiefs’ quarterback Brady Quinn is being evaluated for a possible concussion caused on Sunday’s game against the Raiders, according to the Associated Press on Monday. Head coach Romeo Crennel said that Quinn will start ahead of QB Matt Cassel on Thursday night against the San Diego Chargers if he is medically cleared for play.

Quinn has assumed the role as starting quarterback in Kansas City after filling in for Cassel when he was knocked out of play with his own concussion against Baltimore. The game against Oakland was Quinn’s second start as a Chief.