SGA plans for university’s 150th anniversary

0
19

In a brief meeting last night, the Student Governing Association discussed plans for the university’s 150th anniversary and was visited by a representative from “The Music Man.”

To start off the meeting, held in the Big 12 Room of the K-State Student Union, Jackie Hartman, director of community relations, adressed the room on the subject of the university’s 150th anniversary, or sesquicentennial.

“The kickoff will be on Feb. 14,” Hartman said. “[which is] usually associated with a holiday painted in red, but this year we are going to paint it purple.”

Many celebrations will be held, leading up to the burying of a time capsule at next year’s Homecoming game.

Thirty fiberglass wildcats will also be decorated or painted by various sponsors for the sesquicentennial. SGA is sponsoring one of these statues that will be displayed around Manhattan during the celebrations and then auctioned off to fund a renewable scholarship.

Student Senate speaker Emilee Taylor, senior in sociology, introduced the various ideas that the executive committee had come up with to decorate the SGA statue. The ideas included Willie the Wildcat through the years and different words representing K State students. The design will be finalized by next Wednesday.

LeAnn Meyer, graduate student in theatre, then gave away tickets and T-shirts to promote “The Music Man” production.

“This is the first performance combining the theatre, music and dance departments,” Meyer said.

“The Music Man” will be preformed Nov. 8-11 in McCain Auditorium.

Student senator Amanda Osarczuk, senior in microbiology, took to the podium to introduce a bill allocating funds for Alpha Kappa Alpha to hold an event raising awareness of the dangers of texting while driving.

Another bill was discussed to allocate funds to the sensible nutrition and body image choices group to show a film entitled “Pounds” and bring in the director and star to talk to students.

Both bills will be voted on at the next SGA meeting next Thursday in the Big 12 Room of the Union.