SGA funds upcoming events

0
18

On Thursday, the Student Governing Association discussed various upcoming campus
events such as an environmental forum and the university’s 150th anniversary.

The meeting, held in the Big 12 Room of the K-State Student Union, opened with a presentation by speaker pro tempore Kyle Nuss, senior in architectural engineering.
Nuss is also the head of the Diversity Programming Committee, which plans events on campus that reach a wide range of students. Nuss
presented the events that had been selected for allocations from the
committee.

“[The events we allocate funds to] need to reach a significant number of students,” Nuss said. “They’re all great events.”

Events that received funding included a Chinese New Year’s celebration and an Ecuadorian ballet.

Next
up was a report from the university’s director of sustainability, Kayla Mohnsen, sophomore in biological systems engineering, about upcoming environmental
events around campus. These events include a sustainability forum on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in Fielder Hall Auditorium and game day
recycling.

“Now that the election is over, we can all settle down
politically and make progress in sustainability regardless of [which
political party] we support,” Mohnsen said.

Later, student body vice president
Grant Hill, senior in accounting, spoke about plans for K-State’s 150th anniversary celebration. Hill collected ideas for items to include in the time capsule. Items
already decided on are a 2013 yearbook and a copy of the
2025 plan.

Hill then announced a new event that will be added to the
celebration. Comedian Carol Burnett will be performing at McCain
Auditorium on Feb. 17.

Three bills from the last meeting were
voted on, all passing unanimously. The bills allocated funds for a
speaker on the subject of texting and driving, a film showing and a trip to Lincoln, Neb.  for a theater appreciation conference.

Introduced
during the meeting were bills for allocating funds for the Japanese Student Association to hold a Japanese festival, for Sigma Alpha Iota to bring musician Ricky Ann Gordon to campus and for a bowling event for transfer ambassadors to promote
interaction between transfer and traditional students.

These bills will be voted on at next Thursday’s meeting in the Big 12 room of the Union.