New 007 film features surprises, memorable villain

0
26

The much anticipated new James Bond film, “Skyfall,” opened in the United States this past weekend and resurrected Bond from the dead. Ian Fleming’s popular book character turned film franchise returned in its 23rd installment and made audiences across the world sit on the edge of their seats. 

There was a dark, eerie feeling throughout the film; it seems like one bad thing happens after another. The film begins with what seems to be the death of Bond, played by Daniel Craig, after he is accidentally shot by MI6 agent, Eve, played by Naomie Harris. 

M, played by Judi Dench, and the rest of British secret service MI6 are targeted by an unknown terrorist. Bond and Eve try to recover a stolen computer drive that contained the names of many undercover agents in terrorist organizations all over the world. 

Bond finds himself in Shanghai trying to recover the computer drive when he unintentionally kills the mercenary he has been tracking. Fortunately, he finds a casino chip on the mercenary’s suitcase, which leads him to a casino in Macau where he meets Sévérine, played by french actress Bérénice Marlohe. Bond asks Sévérine to take him to her employer, who he believes is the man behind the attacks on M and MI6. Scared for her life, Sévérine agrees. 

The most unexpected part of this film was the role of Javier Bardem as the villain, Raoul Silva. Bardem does an amazing job as Silva and gives undoubtedly one of the greatest performances in the film. Silva was truly sinister and will unquestionably be considered one of the greatest villains in the 007 franchise. 

The film reiterates that spy operations ran more smoothly using the old-fashioned method of undercover agents instead of modern computers. This point extends to the use of weapons — sometimes it’s best to use a knife.

There were many surprises that audiences did not expect. One of the greatest was the return of the Aston Martin DB5, Sean Connery’s car of choice when he played 007 in the 1964 film “Goldfinger.” 

The only part I found lacking in the film was the explanation of James Bond’s childhood. It’s mentioned that he was an orphan, but there was no description as to what happened to his parents. In a way, however, this is a classic Bond move in its secrecy.

This movie was great entertainment and kept the audience wanting more. I give this film 4 out of 5 stars.

Sid Arguello is a senior in psychology and sociology. Please send comments to edge@kstatecollegian.com.