12 ways to de-stress during finals week

0
1616
Emily DeShazer | Collegian Tyler Lisbon, freshman in architecture; Heather Wolfe, freshman in psychology; Hannah Byun, freshman in kinesiology; Keeli Gibson, freshman in animal sciences and industry; and Josh Nolan, freshman in fine arts, enjoy a game of Taboo at “De-stresser Night” at Boyd Hall on Wednesday. The event gave students a break from studying an the chance to have fun and relax for a couple of hours.

It is coming very near to the end of the semester, which means it’s time for finals. Most students dread this time, as they often have a huge amount of studying and work to get done, and it is very easy to become stressed and overwhelmed. 

However, what most people do not realize is that stress creates more problems, including anxiety and headaches, which cause even more stress. It seems that stress is a vicious, self-perpetuating cycle. The question remains — how can you get rid of it?

People tend to deal with stress in different ways. Some overeat, leading to fatigue, or cry when under a lot of pressure. Others become more hostile and have trouble sleeping. Each person should try different ways to de-stress until they learn what works for them. Here are a few to try out:

1. Exercise regularly: Going on a run or lifting weights can help reduce the overload of hormones that can play a key factor in being stressed. 

2. Sleep: Even though sleep can seem impossible with how much work has to be done, be sure to get a good 6-8 hours. Not getting enough sleep can make you more anxious and emotionally all over the place. 

3. Watch a funny video: Sometimes all it takes is watching a clip from “The Wildcat Mask.” Laughing and smiling are always great ways to de-stress, just find something that makes you do so. 

4. Video games: Play a competitive game such as “Wii Tennis” or “Call of Duty.” Not only will you get some aggression out, but you also have time to spend with friends. 

5. Have the right mindset: Knowing that you have a lot to do can pile the stress on. That is why it is so important to reward yourself after accomplishing something on that infamous to-do list. 

6. Punch a pillow: It sounds funny, but this is actually a great way to just let go. You will leave behind a lot of hostility and might even have a good time doing it.  

7. Yoga: Relaxing and focusing on yourself for a while can be very beneficial. During this exercise you will be taking a lot of deep breaths, which will help calm and relax you. 

8. Eating dark chocolate: According to a Nov. 13, 2009, webmd.com article by Jennifer Warner, this delicious treat can help reduce stress hormones, making you feel less anxious. 

9. Massage: Not many college students are willing to spend their money on a massage. However, there are certain times when that is exactly what you should do. Massages help relax your entire body and mind, leaving you feeling rejuvenated. 

10. Take a bath: A nice soothing bath might be just what you need. Lighting a few candles can help with stress as well. This helps you unwind and clear your head. 

11. Listen to music. Everyone has their own favorite songs that can magically seem to lift your mood. Try taking some time and just let yourself enjoy the music. Even dancing can help. 

12. Drink lots of water and tea. Water makes you feel more lively and energetic according to a June 9, 2011 article by Sruthi Swami on brainscape.com, as our brain is approximately 85 percent water and in order for us to function properly we need to keep hydrated.

These are quick, easy ways to help cope with stress, especially during finals time. Trying a few can help tremendously and make you feel ready to handle all that is needing to be done. Remember, you owe it to yourself to not have to deal with the overwhelming feeling of stress.

Mandy Mulich is a junior in public relations. Please send comments to edge@kstatecollegian.com.