Women’s tennis team takes down College of William and Mary, Harvard in Boston

0
22

For the eighth time in the last nine seasons the K-State’s women’s tennis team won their season opener. This season the Wildcats traveled to Boston to take on the College of William and Mary. It proved to be a difficult duel for the Wildcats, but they escaped with a 4-3 win on Saturday.

“This was a very difficult match to win, and we give a lot of respect to William and Mary. All of our players are very strong competitors,” said K-State head coach Steve Bietau after the matches. “I am happy with the way we finished the match. We still have a lot of improvements to make, but this win definitely is a very positive start of our season.”

William and Mary won two of the three doubles matches to win the first point of the game, but K-State dominated in the singles matches.

Behind junior Petra Niedermayerova, who is currently the No. 15 ranked singles player in the country, the Wildcats defeated William and Mary in four of six singles matches to help earn the 4-3 win. Senior Karla Bonacic, freshman Ivana Kubickova and senior Ana Gomez Aleman also won their singles matches.

On Sunday, K-State kept it rolling with a win over Harvard. This matchup came a little easier for the Wildcats, as they beat Harvard 5-2. The Wildcats won all three doubles matches as well as four of the six singles matches.

Niedermayerova climbed two spots higher on the all-time wins list for K-State over the weekend. The junior now holds a career record of 64-28, which ties her for fifth in school history. Niedermayerova is only 16 wins away from becoming the all-time leader, and she is only in her junior season.

The women’s tennis team is now 2-0 and will be back on the courts on Feb. 9 to take on the University of Tulsa in their first home meet of the season.