Two-minute drill

0
17

NFL

After a blackout that lasted half an hour at Super Bowl XVII on Sunday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said on Monday that the power outage will not hurt New Orleans’ future bids to host a Super Bowl game.

“I fully expect that we will be back here for Super Bowls,” Goodell said. “And I hope we will be back. We want to be back.”

Sunday’s game was the city’s first Super Bowl since 2002, making it the first one since Hurricane Katrina devastated the city in 2005.

NBA

Officials from the Boston Celtics met with free agent Greg Oden on Saturday to discuss interest in signing the injury-ridden player. This is the first talk of the Celtics being interested in Oden, who has been approached by teams such as San Antonio, New Orleans, Charlotte, Indiana and Dallas.

Oden, who was a star for Ohio State in college, was a highly touted first-round draft pick for Portland, but suffered knee injuries and multiple surgeries since 2009.

Oden has sat out the entirety of the current season.

NCAA Men’s Basketball

Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon said that their athletic department created a fake online persona that befriended players and was intended to teach them a lesson about getting into online relationships.

These reports come out of Ann Arbor amidst drama surrounding Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o’s phony “catfish” relationship that caused national media attention.

“We use it as an educational process,” Michigan spokesman Dave Ablauf told the Detroit News. “It wasn’t catfishing. It’s being misconstrued. They didn’t go to that extent (like Te’o’s situation). There was no interaction like a catfish.”