Valentine’s Day celebrated in various ways in K-State LGBT community

0
22

Valentine’s Day is the one day a year when people have a legitimate reason to go out into public and show affection. Valentine’s Day can also bring awareness to those who don’t have a significant other.

In a world of different types of relationships, Valentine’s Day has many meanings. For the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community at K-State, students take different perspectives on this particular holiday.

“To be honest, right now I have no plans [for Valentine’s Day],” said Zach Bomberger, freshman in open option. “This time of year isn’t usually the best time for me because, even though I wish I had someone to celebrate Valentine’s Day with, I usually don’t.”

Bomberger said he sometimes takes friends out to lunch or dinner on that day to show them that he cares about them, but he hasn’t made plans this year. He is not the only one.

Simone Dorsey, president of LGBT & Allies and senior in family studies and human services, said she didn’t know what she was going to do for Valentine’s Day.

“I actually don’t know yet,” Dorsey said. “[My partner] was trying to figure that out with me the other night, but because I hate the pseudo-Hallmark holiday so much, I was no help to him.”

Even though Dorsey doesn’t like the concept of the holiday, she said she will still most likely spend the evening having dinner with someone she cares about.

Even though Dorsey and Bomberger aren’t necessarily doing anything over-the-top special for Feb. 14, others in the community are. Britt Burr, graduate research assistant for the LGBT Resource Center and graduate student in drama therapy, said she will be spending a quiet night in with her girlfriend Brooke Hain, administrative assistant in the College of Engineering.

“We don’t like going out because restaurants are typically crowded with people,” Burr said. “And the day doesn’t seem as special if you’re waiting in a noisy restaurant through half of it. Instead, we are celebrating our Valentine’s Day that weekend, and we’ll do dinner and a movie. I have a couple other surprises planned, but I don’t want her finding out ahead of time by reading the paper.”

Some LGBT community members without a significant other spend Valentine’s Day with good friends. Michael Turner, sophomore in anthropology, said he and his friend Emily Navis, senior in fine arts, planned an evening out with one another.

“We plan on going out to eat or stay at home and make a nice meal,” Turner said. “Then we would go out and see some kind of action or horror movie at the theater and then go back to her house and watch sappy love movies and eat ice cream. We are planning something that just kind of mocks the whole idea of the holiday.”

Valentine’s Day can be a special day for those who choose to participate and celebrate it. To others, it’s just another day.

Zan Bertolino, freshman in music education, said he will wake up and go to class, then go home. For Bertolino, Feb. 14 is just another day of being a full-time student.

“You shouldn’t need a day in the year when you treat your significant other to a very nice, fancy date,” Turner said.