Lady Wildcats to face off against Oklahoma

0
15
Emily DeShazer | Collegian Sophomore Haley Texada looks to pass the ball on Feb. 2 at Bramlage Coliseum during the Sunflower Showdown. Texada and the Wildcats will take on the Oklahoma Sooners tonight for the first time this season.

On Saturday, the K-State women’s basketball team played a double-overtime thriller against in-state rival Kansas in Bramlage Coliseum, falling 89-80. K-State (12-9, 3-6 Big 12 Conference) will be back in action tonight at 7 against No. 20 Oklahoma (16-5, 6-3 Big 12), and head coach Deb Patterson said that the team better be ready to play against the Sooners.

“They’re, in my mind, usually the most aggressive, confident team in terms of flow, and their style and their disposition of anybody you ever play in the league,” Patterson said. “We better be ready to match it.”

In their loss to the Jayhawks, the Wildcats were led by sophomore guard Haley Texada, who finished the game with a career-high 21 points. With senior guard Brittany Chambers attracting the attention of the opponents’ defense, Texada found herself with a favorable matchup. The Wildcats will count on her to score as they host another tough Big 12 team.

The Sooners are led by one of the best shooters in the Big 12, junior Aaryn Ellenberg, the third-leading scorer in the conference at 18.7 points per game. She also leads the Big 12 with 3.4 3-pointers per game, giving Oklahoma a legitimate scoring threat from the outside.

Oklahoma also has an inside-scorer to work with Ellenberg: 6-foot-6-inch junior Nicole Griffin. Griffin is averaging 10.8 points and 4.7 rebounds on the season and will be a tough matchup for the much smaller K-State Wildcats.

With a win over top-25 team Oklahoma State, the Wildcats have shown they have the ability to defeat a ranked team on their home court. As of Jan. 21, the Wildcats were in the next “four out” of ESPN’s bracketology for the women’s NCAA tournament. A win over the Oklahoma Sooners could go a long way in helping the Wildcats get back into the running for the NCAA tournament.