K-State serves upset against No. 23 Tulsa

0
28
Emily DeShazer | Collegian Junior tennis player Petra Niedermayerova powers a shot over the net in her win against No. 124 Samantha Vickers from Tulsa on Saturday at Body First Fitness Center. No. 15 Niedermayerova's win helped the No. 60 Wildcats in upsetting No. 23 Tulsa.

For the No. 60 K-State women’s tennis team, playing in front of a home crowd in Manhattan does not happen very often. They got the chance on Saturday and made the best of it. The No. 23 Tulsa Hurricanes came into this weekend’s match as winners of their last six against the Wildcats, but that streak ended as the Wildcats defeated Tulsa 4-3.

“It was really hard fought against a team that I have a lot of respect for and is very talented,” said K-State head coach Steve Bietau. “[The Hurricanes] fight for every point. The effort our players made today was pretty strong.”

Dating back to 2006, the last time that K-State beat Tulsa, the Wildcats have been held to no more than two points in every match. Since 2007, K-State has not scored more than one point against Tulsa in a match.

It was the doubles team of junior Petra Niedermayerova and senior Karla Bonacic, who are currently ranked No. 34 nationally, that got the momentum rolling for K-State by defeating the No. 9 ranked doubles team of junior Samantha Vickers and sophomore Isaura Enrique by a score of 8-2.

The doubles point was captured when K-State’s second doubles team of freshman Ivana Kubickova and senior Carmen Borau Ramos won its match 8-4. K-State took a 1-0 lead in total points going into the singles matches.

Again it was No. 15 Niedermayerova and Bonacic who captured victories in their singles matches to give K-State a quick 3-0 lead. However, it appeared that Tulsa was beginning to rally as they won the next two singles matches, setting the overall score at 3-2 in favor of K-State.

Putting the nail in the coffin for Tulsa was Ramos, who won her singles match in straight sets to give K-State the victory.

“Anytime you beat someone of this caliber, it’s a good win, and it’s a step in the right direction for your program” Bietau said.

K-State will now play on the road for their next 12 matches with their first stop in Memphis, Tenn., where they will take on No. 70-ranked Memphis on Friday.