SGA sees rare veto by student body president

0
28

At Thursday’s Student Governing Association meeting, the student body president vetoed a resolution for the first time in recent memory.

The resolution in question was introduced at last week’s meeting and proposed suggestions on how to spend the City University Fund, which contains revenue generated by the campus sales tax.

“My primary concern when vetoing the resolution was that it didn’t adequately represent the needs of the students,” said student body president Nate Spriggs, senior in agricultural economics.

Spriggs suggested that the funds be spent on the K-State Student Union instead of on the projects suggested in the bill, which included sidewalk improvements and new bike racks.

“Above all other buildings on campus, [the Union] has the most student investment,” Spriggs said. “It is the hub of student life; we need to provide the best Student Union experience we can.”

SGA members rewrote the resolution to suggest that the funds go toward improving the Union. Student senator Jeffrey Brownlee, author of the resolution and senior in accounting, presented the revisions and said that students always play a critical role on campus. The Union serves faculty, students and the community, making it of mutual benefit to all, Brownlee said.

Kyle Nuss, head of the diversity programming committee and senior in architectural engineering, then addressed the senate about allocations made for the 2013 fiscal year. The committee had $175,000 to allocate to groups promoting diversity on campus.

“We didn’t allocate all of the funds,” Nuss said. “The committee reviewed the proposals and went with what they thought was best.”

The committee received 33 requests from 23 different student groups and agreed to fund 17 of the requests.

Amid the discussion of allocations, Brandon Brunner, chair of the allocations committee and senior in electrical engineering, took to the podium to remind the senators how a group goes about applying for an allocation.

A group must be registered with K-State’s Office of Student Activities and Services as an official student group to apply for an allocation. Group representatives must present to the committee, and, if approved, they will be reimbursed for approved costs after the event.

“We are here to change the way Kansas State operates,” Brunner said of the allocations committee’s work.

Legislation approved at Thursday’s meeting included a request by Students for Environmental Action for funds to bring a speaker to campus, which was called to special orders and passed unanimously. The final piece of legislation was a resolution to add a smoking questionnaire to the general ballot that would explore the possibility of a stricter smoking policy on campus.

The meeting also featured visits from On the Spot Improv and Ebony Theatre, who both thanked SGA for allocating funds to their respective groups in the past.

The Asian American Student Union and African Student Union also requested allocations from SGA. The Asian American Student Union applied for funds to travel to a workshop in Ann Arbor, Mich., while the African Student Union desired funds to hold an African culture night.

SGA will vote on resolutions for the Asian American Student Union and African Student Union at next Thursday’s meeting in the Big 12 Room of the Union at 7 p.m.