K-State tennis falls short in Memphis; Niedermayerova continues to climb all-time rankings

0
24

The No. 42 K-State tennis team had a disappointing weekend in Memphis, where the Wildcats lost both matches against No. 51 Memphis and No. 70 Columbia.

On Friday, the Wildcats found themselves in a 3-0 hole against Memphis before rallying to make it a 3-2 match. After dropping the doubles point, K-State captured the first two singles points when junior Petra Niedermayerova and senior Karla Bonacic both won their matches in three sets. However, the rally ended when senior Carmen Borau Ramos lost against Memphis junior Stefanie Mikesz.

It was the same story for the Wildcats on Saturday against Columbia. After losing the doubles point, only Niedermayerova and Bonacic were able to capture points in the singles bracket.

With her pair of wins, Niedermayerova is now tied for fourth all time in K-State singles history with a record of 67-28. The magic number for Niedermayerova is 13. With 13 more singles wins, she will hold the all-time school record. Bonacic is not far behind with a record of 63-37.

After a strong 3-0 start to the season, K-State has now fallen to 3-2. The Wildcats will have another tough weekend ahead as they travel to Wichita to take on Wichita State on Saturday and No. 24 Purdue on Sunday. K-State has split the last two meetings with the Shockers, both by a score of 4-3, but defeated Wichita State last season.